Days Five: Chico to San Jose to Santa Nella


Advertisement
Published: March 27th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Mission de Oro HotelMission de Oro HotelMission de Oro Hotel

Hotel Mission de Oro was built and opened in 1974 by Jesus Monroy, who was inspired to recreate the mission in his father's hometown of Tepoztlan in Morelos, Mexico.
We said a fond goodbye to Val and Garth on Saturday morning, after a run and swim (me) and a pancake breakfast fixed by Val...

We drove on dozens of small roads and minor highways to get from Chico to Walnut Creek where we charged up the car. We passed lots more orchards and a few small towns before getting into the more populated areas outside of San Francisco. Traffic was light, and the weather beautiful: sunny and in the high 70s. At one point, we drove through mounded hills that looked like the Palouse in Eastern Washington.

We arrived at Bill's cousin Lynn and her son Chris's place in San Jose a little after 3:00pm. I drove that section and we had the most traffic so far on the trip. We had a lovely visit with Lynn and Chris, but it was much too short, since we wanted to get to our hotel well before dark.

The drive from San Jose to Santa Nella, where we are spending the night was beautiful: rolling hills, reservoirs, and many fruit stands. Our hotel, the Mission de Oro, was built in 1974 as a replica of a mission in Mexico.
Parking Lot RoosterParking Lot RoosterParking Lot Rooster

We stopped for a bathroom somewhere near Yuba, and there were dozens of very handsome chickens and roosters living all around the shopping center!
The grounds are beautiful, and the rooms and pool are nice. It looks like it is a favorite of the heavily tattooed crowd, but is quiet at night. There are very formidable looking security guards, however.

Tomorrow we head further south, spending the night in Seal Beach with a friend of Bill's, from the days he lived there in the early 1970s.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

One of the smaller roads we tookOne of the smaller roads we took
One of the smaller roads we took

Some of the roads were lined with these very old trees...I don't know what they are.
Freshly plowed fieldFreshly plowed field
Freshly plowed field

So much of our food is grown here...
This looks like the Palouse in Eastern WashingtonThis looks like the Palouse in Eastern Washington
This looks like the Palouse in Eastern Washington

This area is between Yuba City and Vacaville
Bill with his cousinsBill with his cousins
Bill with his cousins

I completely forgot to take pictures during our visit, so this is a photo from several years ago!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb