Day 2, San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
December 8th 2012
Published: December 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Temp: 18 degrees



Today we woke up quite early at 6.30. however, after realising breakfast wasnt open till 7.30 and that the stores didnt open till after that, we decided on another hours sleep...which turned into nearly two! At about 9.15 after getting ready for the day we went down to breakfast. it is in the reasurant next to the hotel called Daily Grill and was quite nice. We then wanted to do a little bit of shopping, which is just a 5 minute stroll from our hotel. after looking and buying, we then decided to go and line up at the cable cart start line @ Powell and Hyde.
the wait was awhile as so many people want to ride these historic cable cars! Anyway about an hour later we were onboard and traveling to Fishermans Wharf. When we got there, we decided to rent bikes and bike over the Golden Gate Bridge. Sounds simple, but little did we realise just how long and far it would take us! We began riding down towards the bridge and the ride was nice, very enjoyable. Almost at the bridge things begin to change. Hills are around us, everywhere we need to go is up hill, it was torture. Many times I had to hop off and walk the bike up there!
but eventually we made our way to the start of the bridge, small and busy would be an understatement. There were bikes everywhere, people everywhere, it was mayhem. never the less, we made it across. The bridge was amazing, so massive, yet it didnt feel that long to get across. it was the ride after to the next town, Sausalito where the ferry to take us back to Fishermans wharf that took the most time. The ride was lovely once we made it to town, but as we lined up for the ferry, we feared we wouldnt make it back to the return point by 6.30 and be stuck with these bikes all night!! the ferry came at just after 5.30pm. it takes 30 minuted to get back to the wharf and then another 15 minute bike back to the finish point. We made it just in the nick of time.
I dont think eiter of us have ever ridden so fast as that last 15 minutes. Emma was weaving in and out of people like a pro, but i was worried i would end up hitting someone so was a bit more cautious. After we returned the bikes we bought t-shirts that say I BIKED THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE. hey if we did it, we are gonna flaunt it!! :P We then went back down to Fishermans Wharf to look for somewhere for tea. We saw a sign that said Burgers, Fries and Malts. Exactly what Emma said she had been craving for these last two days! So we went in. It was called Johnny Rockers, apparently they are quite famous. But being at Fishermans Wharf and this place not selling sea food, we had it to nearly ourselves. It was completley old school, looked like an old time diner it even had juke boxes on each table. The food was good, just what we needed.
We then decided to look at some of the stores around the area, and Emma ended up buying a San Francisco 49ers hoodie for the game we are going to tomorrow. We then got a taxi home, we were buggered. As we arrived back at Union Square, I reminded Emma that Sephora was down the road and would probably still be open, so she said we MUST go there, and i wouldnt regret it. Im not sure why she thought it was the bee's knees..it was cool i guess but i only walked away with a couple bath salt things, emma on the other hand left with a bag full of goodies. As we were walking back to the hotel we saw another sports store, and I decided to get a 49ers shirt too, so i could fit in with the crowd at tomorrows game. We then went down the street to John Foley's Irish House, an irish bar for a beer before bed!!
cant wait to see what tomorrow brings, at this rate, we are going to need a holiday from a holiday!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



9th December 2012

how good
it looks amazing the bridge the restaurant the weather its unreal to see my girls over there keep on doing everything unreal experience for both of you love mum xxxooo
9th December 2012

So much already.
Wow ladies. Only day 2 and you have done so much already. Loving the blog. It brightens my very long day at work.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb