For my penance another trip to Macys


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
December 13th 2010
Published: December 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today weather wise much the same...we seem to have this preoccuppation with weather so will get it out of the way early...cloudy, overcast, foggy intermittently but fine, no wind but fairly fresh...

Started the day with breakfast, just for something different, and Sandy found somewhere on the internet this place called the Hollywood Cafe very near here in Fishermans Wharf. Had good reviews, easy walking distance. The title just a touch grandiose for the 'hole in the wall' cafe. Its homage to its name was a dozen or so fairly average old photographs of Clark Gable, Audrey Hepburn, Vivian Leigh, James Dean, Elvis Presley with a Sophie Loren tucked in the middle and Marlon Brando's signature Godfather shot tucked in just alongside the fridge. To further the theme they had named three of their signature specials after Clark, Audrey and Vivian...Caitlin had the Audrey as did Sandy. The 6 staff worked in a kitchen about the same size as a modest ensuite with no spare inch unused but they turned out really good meals. We forgot the rule, order small and expect big and ordered the Audrey Hepburn which was descibed simply as two pancakes. There WAS two pancakes - each the size of the small platter they were served on with half the fruit produce of California piled on the plate alongside. Good food, nice staff - enough of breakfast.

From there wandered down to the piers and ended up for some unknown reason in the Maritime National Museum...a selection of model schooneers, ketch's, sloops and other types. Place staffed by a kindly elderly gentleman who somehow managed to imprest my two offspring into the service of the National Park as Junior Rangers...which meant we spent the next hour wandering up and down Hydes Pier while the kids completed their written examinations. Following that they went back to the museum where they were sworn in. Not something I had seen written up in the travel guides but a bit of a hoot for the kids. I think the kids now think they have residency as they are defacto civil servants. Different, unexpected and the kids learnt something.

Went to the Aquarium on the Bay. This has pretty high ratings, but in reality pales beside Sunshine Coast, Sydney and Kelly Tarltons. Some interesting things but overall a little disappointing.

We are aware there is a heavy focus on food on this...but it is really good!! Lunch was at a shrimp stand/caravan/kiosk on the wharf. Big basket of takeaway shrimps, curly fries and a tub of chowder, all eaten standing at a bench at the back of the kiosk. You stay at the bench as it is under the awning and if you go out from under the awning, you can have scenes reminiscent of Hitchcocks, 'The Birds' as the seabirds carry off food and occasionally small children who refuse to let go...well so we were told, didn't seem that bad. Food fantastic, simple but really good. Good entertainment from the chef who talked to the kids while they ate.

Onto the Cable Car from Ghirardelli Square. There was a bit of a wait which was fine but we were all captive audience to a busker. Now a good busker is an experience. This guy was more of an experiment. His music would have been good if he could sing and his patter was annoying. There was a brief interlude where Warbler Warren retuned his guitar and was replaced with 'escape guy'...this challenged persona got himself tied up with chains and then did the Houdini thing. May sound interesting but really it wasn't. Reality is there are too many untalented buskers.

Cable Car trip down Washington was great and a real event. Some of the streets are really pretty steep. Seems seniority rules the roads and the Cable Cars have it in spades. They stop, it seems at random and it is just accepted, the drivers are all very courteous even of pedestrians.

Back to Union Square and another cultural experience...Nordstroms! Yes indeed another department store, just the same but different. A look around the city and then back to Macy's because one visit is just not enough apparently...then across to Union Square where Caitlin was supposed to go ice skating but the whole venue booked out for a private function. So instead she picked dinner - Rainforest Cafe...all the way back in Fishermans Wharf. So back onto the Cable Car and back down to the Wharf. This time the trip was at night and again we sat outside so it was a good experience. The buildings all have such character.

The Rainforest Cafe is all about the venue, not the menu!! For a 6 year old girl this place is awesome, and it is different. The food was average.

Favourite busker / street artist - 'Treeman' - this African American gentlemen crouches down on the footpath behind a bunch of branchs he carries with him and as pedestrians walk past he jumps up and frightens them...he has been doing it for 30 years!!! Got a couple of middle aged women this afternoon as they ambled along deep in discussion about whatever it was when he jumped up at them. One screamed, the other yelled, "are you crazy" to which he replied smooth as, "most of the time, ma'am, just most of the time". I gave him a buck - they didn't.

Best beggars sign..."praying for pot"...judging by the distinct odour Jesus had listened!

Most cynical..."spare a dollar, mother just died, need to get home to Wisconsin."

Reub's can't work out why in a place where there is so much money there are so many poor people living on the street.






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



14th December 2010

Blog Pace
As an experienced blogger: A: I'm soo impressed with the volume and quality of the blogging B: How will you keep up the pace? It's a marathon, not a sprint people :) I wanna keep reading your blogs on day 30! P.S. I know and have seen the tree-man, 30 minutes watching him while enjoying a meal is great entertainment.
14th December 2010

Breakfast
Man alive that platter of pancakes looks huge - you could have shared that between the four of you!!!!
14th December 2010

want to come along
next time you go to USA can I please come along - because of the pancakes, they look deliciously scrumtious!!! Looks like you have lots of fun buddy! From Niels
14th December 2010

want to come along too
I would like to come along for the delicious juicy shrimps!!! The Rainforest Cafe looks to be lots of fun too! From Sven
14th December 2010

Treeman is awesome!
Funny! Thanks for the stories, laughs and wonderful photos...I might con Richard into starting the "treeman" on Queen Street. He is the only person I know who could pull it off. Did you finish the breakfast?

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb