The San Francisco Treat


Advertisement
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We made it to San Fran!

Since we have left the Grand Canyon we have been in the woods basically. When we left the canyon our next destination was Big Sur on the Pacific coast of California. It was about a 12 hour drive and we had been camping for three nights and getting ready to camp for another two in Big Sur. We decided to drive as far as we could then stop for the night at a hotel before we made it to Big Sur. We were able to make it most of the way through the desert before stopping in Mojave (western part of the Mojave Desert) for the night. We got a hotel at the Econolodge which was our worst hotel yet. Let's just say even I thought we would have been better off in the woods.

We made it to Big Sur on Monday afternoon and had camp site reserved at Kirk Creek. It was an awesome site right on the Pacific Ocean. We eventually pegged the tent and tarp down, but decided that we would get no sleep and the poles would snap in the gale winds. We decided to admit defeat and back track a little up the road to a sister sight at Paskett Point (more in the trees) and camp there. We were very happy there and only heard a few animals before falling asleep. The tent nest was much more comfortable then the previous hotel.

The next morning we packed up and made our way to our other camp site for the night at Big Sur campground. It was awesome, soap and hot water in the bathroom and free showers! Camper heaven. We checked in and went to grab lunch at Nepenthe, a well rated restaurant in Big Sur that overlooks the Pacific. Pete had the ambrosia burger...man, and Culver had a turkey bacon avocado sandwich. You got your choice of side which was garbanzo and kidney bean salad, coleslaw, or garden salad. Pete wondered what happened to fries, chips, or potato salad? He forgot we were in California. Pete also spent most of the meal looking at the table next to us because he was convinced that Samuel L Jackson was sitting there. We did walk out into the parking lot and see a nice Escalade that could have very well been his. We decided that it was. Dinner was a nice lentil, golden corn, bean, quinoa burrito. When you add salsa and cheese it becomes very nice (lentils can be substituted for any kind of meat).

This morning we woke up and had another oatmeal and hot chocolate breakfast and packed up the car and headed for San Fran. We made it here around 2 PM. It was hard to decide what to see and we finally made up our mind to do what Culver calls 'The City Hike' which involves hiking down the crooked part of Lombard Street and up to Coit Tower... then down into Chinatown to window shop and eat. We walked through North Beach which is the Italian section and very cool. Grabbed and coffee at Cafe Trieste which was amazing, then had dinner at San Sun also nice, good luck finding it again. Pretty much most of Chinatown smells like the Green Harbor tuna shack mixed with candied ginger. I highly suggest visiting between school's end and dinner time as the mums are out selecting their live seafood and roasted ducks (still smiling at you). Afterwards we rode the trolley down Fisherman's Wharf to check things out and had a night cap at the Black Magic Voodoo Lounge, nice place to tie one on (not that we did). So far it has been really cool. Also, the weather has been really clear, since our second day in Big Sur we haven't seen any of that San Fran fog that is suppose to be here, highly unusual (knock on wood).

Tomorrow we plan to head back and roam the city. Haight - Ashbury to see the Grateful Dead house and Thayer street on steriods then back down to the wharf for a night tour of Alcatraz (should be awesome). Our hotel in San Fran is really nice and we are much happier here. We do have internet so we hope to update you again tomorrow!

Pete and Culver

Advertisement



1st May 2009

Rain is coming !
Now that youre outa jail get outa town ! Downpours coming your way - as you go north to Napa Valley - its not as bad so drink as much as possible !

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb