Crossing to Golden Gate Bridge


Advertisement
Published: April 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My next trip was to go over the Golden Gate Bridge. I thought my days of mountain biking was over in Bolivia but I was attracted to the idea of crossing the bridge on a mountain bike .I was assured that the route was on the flat and you travel through a beautiful national park, it would take about 2 hours to get the bridge and 2 hours back after crossing it .Alternatively you could go on to Sausalito and get the ferry back .that seemed a better idea.
Well off I went, nobody mentioned about the terrific wind that was forecast for the day what with the ambient temperature at 9C and the added chill factor of a 30kph wind making it around the 2C (Felt even colder) mark it was bloody cold and to make it worse it was blowing head on all the way to the bridge.!! There idea of level terrain stretches the imagination there were some big hills, managed to make it without getting off and pushing with the 15 gears at my disposal At the bridge there is a walking/cycle lane which keeps you away from the traffic speeding past.
Halfway across I met
long haul uphilllong haul uphilllong haul uphill

this so called level trip this was at the the top a 1 1/2klm climb. Used all 15 gears, feeling knackered
two English people on a tandem doing the same trip over the bridge .we exchanged pics and were then on our way over the rest of the bridge and on to Sausalito .Thank goodness that part was all down hill .It had taken me battling with the wind and cold 3 ½ hours to get to the bridge Sausalito a pretty little town modeled on a Mediterranean village ,very peaceful .Got the 1730 ferry back to San Francisco landed at pier 5 so had to battle the wind again to pier 43 to return the bike and then get trolley bus back to Hotel. A great experience even if harder than described but well worth the effort.

Phileas





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Nearly there Nearly there
Nearly there

Yet another climb to the cycle way about 1/2klm
getting ready to cross bridgegetting ready to cross bridge
getting ready to cross bridge

just reading about the bridge before crossing.like the helmet?wind blowing like mad
half way across half way across
half way across

The two English people on tandem doing same route ,met them again in Sausilito


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb