Thankful for San Diego


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
November 22nd 2015
Published: December 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hello San Diego! And hello Hyatt Grand in the Gaslamp District. That's downtown to those who don't know. A gorgeous view of the the Coronado Bridge to the south and SeaPort Village and the Midway to the north. Up high on the 25th floor - seagulls fly by (and even land on the ledge outside- totally unafraid) and the USS Roosevelt sailed into the harbor just in time for Thanksgiving. What do I spy first off in the airport? A large, very nicely decorated Christmas tree AND a giant menorah for Hanukkah. Thank, SD. Not much of the latter in Texas.

Ocean Beach provided delicious breakfast, awesome people watching, and the sight of 2 little dogs perched on top of their owner's van. Back to dinner at Old Venice with friends, Debbie and Frank. 30 years ago, I accidentally set the large menu on fire and it remains an ongoing joke. No such mishaps this time.

The weather is San Diego perfect and lunch at Del Mar Plaza with a few pals was just as perfect. Thanksgiving day offered the usual Polish vodka tasting- proving once again if it will take varnish off furniture, it can't be that great to drink! Food abundance with 2 turkeys, piles of mashed potatoes, sweet frosted cookies, expensive Scotch, and wine, wine, wine. Thanks to the Cuz family for outdoing themselves once again, for family, friends, and strangers alike.

Across the street from the Hyatt Grand is a lovely little park dedicated to Martin Luther King. One can't help but notice the beautiful quotes set in the sidewalk. One in particular stood out, especially in this season of consuming indifference and fear of refugees, immigrants, and others in need." I have the audacity to believe that people everywhere can have 3 meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and freedom for their spirits". And for those who think the transgender bathroom is actually an issue- take a cue from the San Diego airport. They do it right. Thanks, San Diego. Texas and the rest of the country can take notes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Nosy SeagullNosy Seagull
Nosy Seagull

Tapping on the window did not scare it away!
Del MarDel Mar
Del Mar

Del Mar plaza across from La Auberge
Del Mar PlazaDel Mar Plaza
Del Mar Plaza

meeting friends for lunch
Old Venice Restaurant Point LomaOld Venice Restaurant Point Loma
Old Venice Restaurant Point Loma

Best Italian food in town.
Polish VodkaPolish Vodka
Polish Vodka

another one bites the dust...
Pre-dinner snacksPre-dinner snacks
Pre-dinner snacks

Guzik family version of an antipasto appetizer.
Ocean Beach DogsOcean Beach Dogs
Ocean Beach Dogs

2 beachy dogs keeping watch from the top of their van
Stair Picture 2015Stair Picture 2015
Stair Picture 2015

A Thanksgiving tradition for many years. Scary! Sexy! Smiling! Sad! Sober? Probably not.
MLK QuoteMLK Quote
MLK Quote

Particularly relevant in these times of refusing immigrants...
It CAN be Done!It CAN be Done!
It CAN be Done!

No problems, no worries, no fear. Just do it. Some states can make a note. It's not that hard. Thank you, SD airport.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb