The Journey Begins!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
January 13th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left Carmel on the morning of January 13 from the Monterey Airport bound for San Diego where we would meet the ship…all went well. Upon boarding the ship, we checked into our suite 1022, next door to last years’. We then walked up to the pool deck and watched as all the World Cruiser’s baggage was being loaded onto the deck by crane and brought to the rooms. Everything went flawlessly!

We then went to the Cruise Specialists party where we met Kelli Surdell, our travel agent, for the first time. Later we went to the World Cruise function on Deck 4…265 of us, and many that we met on the cruise last year...like old friends. After dinner we enjoyed the special entertainment of Jay Leno and The Beach Boys.

The next day, the other passengers of various segments boarded…making the ship full with about 650. We worked out in the new Canyon Ranch facility, hung out and waited for our departure, which was unfortunately delayed by some problems getting supplies loaded.

After a choppy first night, we’ve had smooth sailing. The major events this week were the County Fair on the pool deck, where we competed
Loading  BaggageLoading  BaggageLoading Baggage

World Cruise baggage loaded by crane
for raffle tickets to win prizes. The crossing of the equator is an initiation rite in many navies, which commemorates a sailor’s first crossing. Sailors who have crossed the equator before are called Shellbacks, referred to as sons of Neptune; and those that haven’t are called Pollywogs. When the ship crosses the equator, the Pollywogs are to appear in court before Neptune, his first assistant Davy Jones (portrayed by Jamie, the cruise director) and her highness Amphirite. They have to pay for their crimes and receive their punishment. Those charged with lesser crimes must “kiss the fish”.

We have been having a great time, playing bridge, getting some exercise, seeing some good lectures and enjoying some fun parties and functions.

The most important part of the week was the celebration of Annette’s birthday! She had a fabulous time and as you can see by the photos, our suite which was decorated with tons of balloons by the staff and we were joined at dinner in the Prime 7 restaurant by Susan and Kevin, our Cruise Specialists representatives, Tweedie and Mac, our Virtuoso representatives and friends Evy and Mike, from last years voyage.



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Break Open the Champagne!Break Open the Champagne!
Break Open the Champagne!

Let the celebration begin!
A Toast to Our SuiteA Toast to Our Suite
A Toast to Our Suite

Our home for 119-days.
The Upcoming Storm!The Upcoming Storm!
The Upcoming Storm!

Taken from our suite overlooking San Diego
Annette with Kelli SurdellAnnette with Kelli Surdell
Annette with Kelli Surdell

Kelli is our travel agent with Cruise Specialists. We had not met personally. She surprised us by attending the Cruise Specialists World Cruise party after we boarded.
Annette talking with Mark ConroyAnnette talking with Mark Conroy
Annette talking with Mark Conroy

Mark is the President of Regent and also attended the Cruise Specialists party.
Jay Leno Performed!Jay Leno Performed!
Jay Leno Performed!

Jay and The Beach Boys performed for the World Cruisers our first night.
Jay was FUNNY!Jay was FUNNY!
Jay was FUNNY!

He was the opening act and was great!
The Beach BoysThe Beach Boys
The Beach Boys

They sing many of the groups favorites.
Mike LoveMike Love
Mike Love

One of the original Beach Boys.
Bruce Johnston on keyboardBruce Johnston on keyboard
Bruce Johnston on keyboard

Another one of the original band members.
Bringing Back the Oldies!Bringing Back the Oldies!
Bringing Back the Oldies!

Doug remembers seeing the original band in the mid 60's in Chicago.
San Diego SkylineSan Diego Skyline
San Diego Skyline

We sail later today. The World Cruisers were able to board yesterday and the rest of the passengers are now boarding. Yesterdays dark skies have passed over.
Our Mandatory DrillOur Mandatory Drill
Our Mandatory Drill

Here we are in our formal garb in one of the premier restaurants getting our evacuation drill.
Annette is Ready!Annette is Ready!
Annette is Ready!

But, she couldn't find any shoes to go with this outfit!
The County Fair!The County Fair!
The County Fair!

After a couple days at sea, we all compete on the pool deck to win raffle prizes in events and booths set up by the crew. They also compete for the best booth.
A Water Carrying EventA Water Carrying Event
A Water Carrying Event

One of the many events. Don't spill!
Crossing the Equator!Crossing the Equator!
Crossing the Equator!

Neptune and his wife hold court. Held on the pool deck, it's a memorable event...especially for the Pollywogs, those crossing the equator for the first time.
Jamie & Captain DagJamie & Captain Dag
Jamie & Captain Dag

They read the charges against a Pollywog.
The Prisoners Await Their FateThe Prisoners Await Their Fate
The Prisoners Await Their Fate

Lined up, they await their charges.


26th January 2010

Nice Blog!
Very nice! The cover picture of you two is great...and the one with Kelli is stunning. It's funny, we both used the Voyager as a start-off, but different views. I think your family and friends will really like your Travel Blog.
27th January 2010

Got it!
Doug - I did get your blog on my Sotheby's email so use whichever you choose. FYI - in college I use to have a class in the Beach Boys lead singers home in Manhattan Beach. His girlfriend was a friend of mine and the group use to do ad-hoc concerts on fraternity row when they topped the charts. Mike looks a tad older in your photos... don't we all.
28th January 2010

This photos are great....not black like the 1st ones. Wish we were with you. How is the bridge aboard?

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb