A Graduation and Some Boiling Mud...Part One


Advertisement
Published: May 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Perry and Lizzet after graduation!Perry and Lizzet after graduation!Perry and Lizzet after graduation!

We went to their wedding in Spain two years ago....
We took a ten day road trip to Sacramento, California this month to help a good friend celebrate his graduation from law school.

We drove over Stevens Pass Thursday morning, through the small town of Thorpe to visit and old mill (We have the excellent A Road History of Washington to lead us to interesting side trips...). Once in Oregon, we stumbled on the near ghost town of Chaniko, and also made a stop at the spectacular Ogden Scenic Wayside near Redmond. (We also have A Roadside History of Oregon....)

We then over-nighted in Bend, Oregon, right on the Deshutes River, and continued south on Friday to Sacramento.

The graduation was Saturday afternoon, and it was followed by a tour of the McGeorge School of Law campus (part of University of the Pacific) and then a private dinner. University of the Pacific is the oldest college in California.

On Monday we visited with Bill's cousin and his wife in Emoryville, near Berkeley. Bill's cousin has just entered an assisted living facility, but remembered Bill and loved reminiscing. We left Emoryville in the mid-afternoon, planning to take a scenic route north east to Chico, where we would stay
Old mill in Thorpe, WAOld mill in Thorpe, WAOld mill in Thorpe, WA

It was built in 1880 and operated until 1941
with friends for two nights. Unfortunately, the traffic was horrible and the BMW started overheating in the middle of a traffic jam. Fortunately, there was a BMW repair shop nearby. The owner offered to stay open late for us and we were back on the road by 6:30pm with a new coolant reservoir tank.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Thorpe MillThorpe Mill
Thorpe Mill

There was an ice pond next to it that provided jobs for the winter months.
Old vehicle collection in ChanikoOld vehicle collection in Chaniko
Old vehicle collection in Chaniko

They are attempting to make this a museum town, but it was completely deserted when we were there...
Old bridge across Crooked River near Madras, OROld bridge across Crooked River near Madras, OR
Old bridge across Crooked River near Madras, OR

This was the highest auto bridge in 1913 when it was built.
Perry and Lizzet walking on stagePerry and Lizzet walking on stage
Perry and Lizzet walking on stage

They announced both their names and "Emma who is on the way"! She is to be born in September.
Celebration dinnerCelebration dinner
Celebration dinner

There was a wonderful collection of Perry and Liz's friends: an actor (who was in Fast and Furious and is from Mt. Vernon), a newspaper editor, a nurse, a juvenile probation officer, a pro snow boarder (who you may have seen in the Yeti commercial for GoPro), a researcher for Stanford faculty, and many more!


28th May 2015
Celebration dinner

Don't forget...
The most wonderful friends of all, Bill and Lynn. It meant a lot that you came to celebrate and share in the experience.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb