Some time with friends...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Sacramento
March 21st 2010
Published: March 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Boulders in Joshua Tree NPBoulders in Joshua Tree NPBoulders in Joshua Tree NP

This is a big rock climbing area. This photo was in a cool campground.
Day Four Sacramento

We spent the day with Perry, our friend and former renter in LaConner. He showed us around the city, and took us on a hike along the river. We were surprised at how many old, beautiful neighborhoods there are in Sacramento. We went out to dinner with Perry and his girlfriend Lizet, who we were meeting for the first time. We really enjoyed getting to know her, and think Perry is one lucky guy! (Of course, we also think Liz has found a great guy!) We were sad to leave and hope they come visit us soon....

Day Five Sacramento to Glendale

Today was a long day of driving for Bill and of sitting for Lynn: we traveled the 400 miles with only a few short stops, since we wanted to get to Glandale in time to check into our motyel and take Shirley, Bill's former mother-in-law, out to dinner. We took highway 99 through the Central Valley's orchards, farms, and towns, across the mountains and down into the Los Angeles area. Most of the route was flat and repetitive, but there were amazing patches of wild flowers, and the mountain pass was beautiful. We arrived in Glendale around 4:00pm, and went to dinner with Shirley at the the Americana Mall, which she worked hard to bring to Glendale. It is huge with many unique touches: a tram, musical fountains, and much art. It was great to see Shirley and her new place!

Day Six Glendale to Palm Desert

This was a short trip..which was good after a long night in a less than perfect hotel last night! We had noise from the boiler next door, a loud conversation in the parking lot for a few hours, and noisy fridge...all quieted down finally....and then a strange bird call started up!

From Glendale, we drove through the edges of Pasadena and other towns til we reached the desert. We drove past the wind farms outside of Palm Springs, and then into the Palm Springs area itself, with many shopping areas, condos, gated communities, and golf courses.

We arrived in Palm Desert before noon, and couldn't check in, so we drove to Rancho Mirage to meet up with Garth and Val, our friends from Chico. Garth went to high school with Bill in Longview. We decided to head out to Joshua Tree National Park for the rest of the afternoon. We had the great idea of getting picnic supplies about 100 feet past the last exit with services, and there was no way to make a U turn...so we went hungry...

Joshua Tree was really amazing....what a great afternoon: good company and beautiful scenery! We met up with Garth and Val again tonight for a Thai dinner, and are now in our pleasant room in Palm Desert...ready to get some much needed sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Bridge in SacramentoBridge in Sacramento
Bridge in Sacramento

Perry bravely drove us right past the "road closed" signs so we could could get a good view!
Dinner!Dinner!
Dinner!

This was at a new and trendy restaurant where the service was bit over the top....when Liz left the table for a moment, a waiter quickly came by and refolded her napkin...(since Liz and I were both wearing black, we had been told that the napkins were "lint free linen", and there were also black napkins available if we preferred...!)
Cake Crazy!Cake Crazy!
Cake Crazy!

We got cake slices for desert at this cake shop....it was crowded at 10:30 pm!
Driving down the Central ValleyDriving down the Central Valley
Driving down the Central Valley

This is the raisin capital of the world...right here!
Small Central Valley townSmall Central Valley town
Small Central Valley town

We stopped here for coffee....


23rd March 2010

So, is that the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento? I haven't been there is years, but it was a good one. I was born in Glendale! My grandmother lived there until her death in 1967, so I visited there often. Oh, that was more than 40 years ago. Yikes, time flies. You went through Pasadena without stopping at the Norton Simon Museum (art)? No, no, no!!! Well, it is your trip, but I wish I could have suggested that stop. Where are you going next? I'm envious and really ready for my road trip to Vermont in May. I'll be asking for suggestions of sights along the way! Best thoughts, Breta-the-back-seat-wannabe
23rd March 2010

Thanks Bill & Lynn
Hi - Thanks you two for stopping to see my Mom in Glendale. Sounds like wherever you stayed in Glendale was horrible; so sorry. Thanks again for including mom in your roadtrip. It meant a lot to her and to me.
23rd March 2010

Rancho Mirage
We were in Rancho Mirage not long ago for a respite from a brutal Montana Winter. Interesting place. More so if you golf (which we don't). When will you make it to Helena?
23rd March 2010

Hey did you go through bakersfield- that picture looks like your are heading up the grapevine- Shhh I won't tell anyone-- I was actually born there- but I never lived there - hope your having fun- are you going to SB?
28th March 2010

Good Times
It was great to see you two here in Sacramento. Thanks for taking the time to see the town and for going to the trendy dining spot with me and Liz. Too bad it was a little much. We'll see you in LaConner soon. Safe travels.

Tot: 0.464s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 27; qc: 123; dbt: 0.1611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb