Seventeen Mile Drive


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Pebble Beach
October 12th 2019
Published: October 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

From 2010

What is so magical about the Monterey Peninsula's Seventeen Mile Drive? We have taken the drive numerous times in the past. Sheri drove it once or twice daily when I worked at Pebble Beach. She would drive between our company apartment and the Lodge at lunch time and again to pick me up after work.

We arrived Friday afternoon, after a stop at the factory outlet stores in Gilroy. We saw the sun peeking out from the soft cloud cover, revealing the magnificent Monterey coast and bay. The highway exit for Pebble Beach and Seventeen Mile Drive is a welcome sight. We checked into the Lodge, and got to see our dear friend Carol (from Peru). We settled down for a quiet and relaxing afternoon.

Little did we know that we were assigned the loveliest of suites on the 18th green of the golf course. What a glorious view of Carmel Bay. What can I say? I think I am in heaven.

But first, I walked the grounds, along the Eighteenth fairway, then back up behind the #3 green, over to the Tennis Club, the Spa, Casa Palmero, and back over to the shops surrounding the practice putting green, over to the Market, and over to the Equestrian Center. The polo field is actually used as the driving range for the ATT and US Open golf events!

Saturday, after a nice breakfast here at the Lodge, we headed over to downtown Carmel for a little retail therapy, walking, and maybe a light lunch. Tonight is a big celebration of someone special's birthday. It is also my brother Bob's birthday today. And yesterday was our friend Cesar's birthday in Lima, Peru.

But first, we hit the Pebble Beach outlet store down on Cannery Row. Then we headed to downtown Carmel for some retail therapy. I was able to buy Sheri some special denim jeans for her birthday. And she was able to get them altered, almost on the spot.

We also saw our friend Susan, who is having a bit of a rough go with family and friends right now. But it was nice to see her and catch up with her on all the latest. We also found our foreign electrical adapter (all in one) at the Tumi store. BTW, the Wilkes Bashful store is already gone from Carmel Plaza. I guess there are not enough Willie Browns down here on the peninsula.
This is Yahoo's description: One of the most scenic drives anywhere in the world, this stretch of highway runs between Pacific Grove and Carmel. You will see incredible beaches, six golf courses and more mansions than you can count. You will drive by several epicurean restaurants, all of which will refund the USD8 toll fee that you pay to drive this road. Pedestrians and cyclists can enter for free. The road snakes its way like a serpent, along the California coast and then through the Del Monte Forest. This drive is an absolute must for anyone visiting the Monterey Peninsula. Bring lots of film. See website for visitor details.



I never get tired of seeing this, whether bathed in brilliant sunlight or covered with a blanket of fog. And if you want to avoid the fee at the gate, tell the ranger that you are going to the post office at Pebble Beach. The park personnel cannot keep you away form a Federal office by charging a fee.

When we stay at the Lodge at Pebble or Inn at Spanish Bay, we get the use of a Lexus, preferably a red convertible, when we stay here. Today it will be silver. On any nice day, the drive is enhanced by a sprint on Seventeen Mile Drive with the top down. A stop for some refreshments is always welcome.



The forest is impressive by reason of its rich abundance of cypress trees and the Monterey pines. You will also drive past picturesque beaches, isolated cliffs, the famous and often photographed "Lone Cypress", the Pebble Beach Golf Course (my favorite in the entire world) and the "Lodge at Pebble Beach" Hotel, where rooms cost $500. Many kinds of gulls live in the Seal and Bird Rocks. Often you can spot deer, sea lions, and harbor seals there too. The CypressLookout offers a particularly beautiful view north and south along the Pacific coast.

You will get a glimpse of all the famous Pebble Beach golf courses, along with Monterey Peninsula Golf Club (36 holes), Poppy Hills, and the ultra exclusive Cypress Point Golf Club. My uncles have played here, thanks to connections who are no longer alive. My day in the sun will occur someday soon.

Fast forward to today: our drive here is two fold: one, so Sheri can do some shopping at the Factory Outlets, and two, so Lexi can run on famous white sand of Carmel beach. Add perhaps a good meal, a visit with some friends, and even another jaunt on Seventeen Mile Drive I never get tired of tis drive!!) over to Pebble Beach. We even got to see our old friend, John at Spanish Bay. What a treat!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb