Day 8 - Cars and Coffee!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Malibu
May 21st 2011
Published: May 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Three GuysThree GuysThree Guys

Kevin, our nephew Damon, and his best friend Erik examine a beautiful car
Kevin's Entry: We needed the alarm to get up at 4:15. We coordinated with Nancy’s nephew Damon who lives out here to meet up in LA and then drive down to Irvine to the place where each weekend people cruise in to this large parking lot in the Mazda corporate offices for an amazing, informal show (http://www.cncpics.com/). It’s unusual to see even one ‘real’ Shelby Cobra driving around, let alone 3 or 4, not to mention more early 70’s Porsches than you can count sprinkled in with Lambos, Ferraris, 60’s muscle, Maybachs, hot rods, Lotus, Woodies, race cars, bikes, tons of Alphas—just mind blowing!! You have to get there early because it ends at around 9-ish. Most of these people won’t drive their cars any later than that because they say all of the regular drivers hit the roads by then and they want to get their cars safely home before getting creamed by a minivan. We had a blast just walking and drooling. Bentley got to meet lots of dogs and make new friends too. I talked to an older gentleman who had parked a black 1960 Porsche 356 behind my black Porsche which I thought was kind of cool—generations.
Small WorldSmall WorldSmall World

Kevin chats with a guy that went to North Central College in Naperville at Cars & Coffee in Irvine, CA
Turns out, he’s from Glen Ellyn and went to college in Naperville right by where we live. Too funny.
On the way home, Damon took us by his garage and showed us his collector Audi Quattro. What a car! We headed home and stopped off at a funky market for some food to cook out later that night when Damon and another couple stopped by. We had a blast cooking out, eating, drinking wine and hearing the surf pound in.
Nancy's Entry: It may sound crazy, but I was excited to get up and go to "cars and coffee" in Irvine. I have seen it featured on so many car programs, and this informal show did not disappoint. I had never seen many of the cars that were there, and all of them were open and not being guarded by their owners. It was great that everyone could interact with the cars, and all the people were very friendly. My nephew, Damon, is a car designer for Acura and knows sooooo much about cars, it's really fun to get his "inside info" on everything there. Of course the cars I thought were junk he would say "Shut up! That's one
Collectible AudiCollectible AudiCollectible Audi

Our nephew Damon and his rare and collectible Audi Quattro
of the rarest cars in the world!!" And the ones I liked he would say "That's a hobbled together piece of junk." Oh well -- what do I know!?! His friend Erik joined us, and we all had a great time walking the show. It was much larger than I expected and took a couple of hours to see everything.
After picking up some groceries we went home and took a nap for a while because we had gotten up at 4:00. Then Damon, Erik, and Erik's lovely wife Kathy came over, and we had an impromptu barbeque/dinner party by the ocean. Erik was kind enough to do the actual barbequing for us (after we threatened to throw him over the balcony!) and he did a marvelous job. We sipped wine and chatted to the sounds of the ocean and it was a very special, enjoyable evening. Erik and Kathy left at about 11:00, and Damon spent the night in our spare bedroom and promised to take me to the Hollywood hot spots tomorrow!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Erik's Lovely Wife KathyErik's Lovely Wife Kathy
Erik's Lovely Wife Kathy

The lovely wife of my nephew's best friend


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb