Los Angeles


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kate:

Well we made it! and so far our trip has been brilliant. The flight- surprisingly ok. 11 hours flew by and we had the most amazing seats with loads of leg room thanks to Steve's work friend Toby-it made such a difference we were so chuffed. AND also i have been proven wrong- what you say??? Kate wrong- never, but i am afriad i am. Plane food can actually be really nice. The first time remember to bring a little packed lunch with me because i have always thought plane food was MINGING and this was actually....dare i say it nice, in fact lush! New Zealand lamb curry (obviously never as nice as your mum) with rice and a pasta salad starter- really good!

Anyway our First stop was L.A. We arrived late at night to our hostel in Hollywood and were pleasantly surprised at how nice our room was. Double bed, TV with about a million channels, our own bathroom-to be fair i felt a bit of a cheat, supposedly 'traveling' and there we are with our wheelie suitcases sitting in a pretty nice hostel....oh well! L.A is, well a bit strange. There are the classic sightseeing spots, the Hollywood sign, the walk with all the stars names on the floor, the celeb houses but apart from that there isn't much else. Our first day we spent just getting our bearings and having a bit of an explore. We stumbled across an amazing farmers market which was nothing like what you would expect. It had the most amazing food court which just had about every kind of food you could ever imagine. I settled for an amazing beef sarnie and steve the classic fish and chips and it was lush and really cheap- amazing. The best thing about this place was as you followed through the food court you came out into this almost to perfect to be true little town. With beautiful trees AND music playing Jazz from the bushes as you walked around (Steve was sooooo chuffed about that). It was really quite incredible but just too good to be true, so perfect that it is just really fake- i am yet to be sold on this style of living but it was really cool to see never the less.

Day 2 we did the 'tourist thing'. It was really good to see the
On the PlaneOn the PlaneOn the Plane

Check out the leg room. Happy Days!
Hollywood sign and go to Santa Monica beach etc... but to be honest i have never been a fan of the tour thing. It gives you a good opportunity to see all the sights and if we weren't being driven around we would have never had hr chance to see all that we did but i prefer to wonder around myself and take my time - i guess you can't have it all. The best thing about day 2 though was that guy that ran the hostel told us of a free....yes free Counting Crows gig that was happening that night at the fishers market. And sure enough we headed early evening down there and there was a free gig going on to promote the new album it was so cool. We were stood on the grass listening to the Crows and lapping up the sun......only in America..........

Next stop is San Fransisco and i am so excited about getting car and cruising on over down the freeway- can't wait!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The Walk of FameThe Walk of Fame
The Walk of Fame

Steve and the Duke
Venice BeachVenice Beach
Venice Beach

The Basketball Courts from White Men Can't Jump
Hotel CaliforniaHotel California
Hotel California

Where the Eagles got their inspiration
The Beckham's!The Beckham's!
The Beckham's!

Right next door to the Cruise's! Strange old Neighbourhood!
One for SethOne for Seth
One for Seth

the Fresh Prince's House
Rodeo DriveRodeo Drive
Rodeo Drive

Not quite in our budget
Our hire Car!Our hire Car!
Our hire Car!

Not really!
The Counting CrowsThe Counting Crows
The Counting Crows

Free Concert in The Grove!


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb