Better Not to Shelter


Advertisement
Published: April 20th 2020
Edit Blog Post

As coronavirus spreads across the U.S., Americans in some of the country's hardest-hit regions have stepped up to foster and adopt animals, keeping them out of shelters. NBC News contacted shelters and animal advocacy organizations with facilities in California, Michigan, New Jersey, Connecticut, New York, Texas, Washington, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, and North Carolina. Every single organization said it was overwhelmed by the outpouring of community support that got animals out of shelters and into loving foster and adoptive homes.Humane Society of the United States President and CEO Kitty Block said that the organization has worked with its 400 shelter partners to spread the word about the need to clear shelters by placing pets with foster and adoptive homes. "The call has been answered," Block said.
Matt Bershadker, president and CEO of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), said that the organization has seen a 70 percent increase in animals entering foster care in their New York City and Los Angeles programs compared to this time last year.
​If you have never known the joy, comfort, and companionship of pet ownership, I strongly suggest now as the time. Particularly for those of you who live alone, you will never regret it. Many friends have literally changed their lives, by adopting a pet from the shelter.I have a dear friend, Ric, who rescues animals through his organization, Wings of Rescue. They pick up dogs and cats at "kill" shelters, and fly them to safe zones. They also rescue animals in areas where natural disasters have left animals lost and homeless. I strongly suggest a donation to them, if you are an animal lover.Wings of Rescue is a 501(c)3 charity founded in 2012, that flies endangered pets from high intake and/or high-kill shelters to no-kill shelters from where they have all been adopted into loving homes. To date we have flown 99 flights carrying 7,161 pets (4,868 dogs, 2,276 cats, 13 pot-bellied pigs, 3 rabbits and one Cockatoo) to safety, and have flown in 137,996 pounds of humanitarian aid into the Bahamas.Again, if you are an animal lover, or just want to help, please rescue an animal or donate to an organization dedicated to saving the lives of our furry friends. Thank you for caring!!!! You will make the world a better place!PS: Ric, so proud of you, keep up the great work!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb