Big Trees


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Fortuna
May 19th 2013
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Update...We're heading North along the Pacific Coast Highway, California Highway 1, we've had some great coastal sights across the vast Pacific, spotting several whales. Recently we got into a beautiful area in Humboldt County, CA where the road took us inland and meandered through the thick Western Forests where smooth rivers snaked the landscape with aqua winter runoff from the high hills and the Redwoods are enormous and a stunning sight to see. For me there's really nothing like a clean mountain river, i always have the urge to go in, its usually cold or semi-cold and it usually takes a few minutes to get in, the first dunk is quick and then from there on its enjoyable and extremely refreshing, i joke that its my rebirth, it really makes you feel alive and i look forward to my mountain river encounters.

Therefore we spent a few extra days in the region. And we found a section of the Humboldt Redwoods State Park particularly suited for mornings admiring the giant trees and afternoons by the river, it was along the Avenue of the Giants, a 25+/- mile park road that gets you up close and personal with these 1,000+ year old trees. The Giants are humbling and for me have a tendency to smack me down to the reality of the short life we live; our life is a minor speck in the grand scheme of time. Dont sweat the small stuff and enjoy everyday. Between the trees and the river i enjoyed this region.

We spent time walking among the trees, swimming in the river and a morning road bike ride up and back down the Avenue. One afternoon i took a mountain bike ride up to the ridge, 2,000 feet up the to the ridge!, into thick forest and bear country all over. Most of the ride i was Yipping, basically alerting the local wildlife of my presence, every 10 or so seconds id let out a loud YIIIIP, its just one of those words that rolls off the tongue in-between cardiovascular gasps for breath. What goest up must come down and the decent was a terrific single track that weaved down the other side of the ridge with breaks in the forest that emerged into grassy openings on the steep hill side, it was the kind of grassy opening that you just knew a large bear wasnt far from, in enjoyed the views and quickly moved on.

On our final stretch of California we caught a glimpse of some large Elk fresh out of winter and munching on fresh greens. Their antlers coming back in full force fuzzy with growth.

On to OREGON and the Oregon Coast. A region we've both been looking forward to. Again we're staying on Highway 1. We're currently in Coos Bay, Oregon camping for a few nights. So far the coast is very scenic, from sections of Norther California all the way up to the tip of Washington the coastline is spotted with cliffs, beaches & coves and countless jagged rocky outcrops that remind you of scenes from the Goonies. This is such rich pristine land. There's a distinct line where the coastal region ends and immediately the forest starts with huge trees and super thick undergrowth. Rhododendron's grow naturally here and are in bloom, the rivers are wide and colored aqua clear, the banana slugs are the size and color of small bananas, Elk roam free and the trees are something to write home about.



JP


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Shannon Shannon
Shannon

Afternoon swim session against the current.
Oh yeah, and we drove through a treeOh yeah, and we drove through a tree
Oh yeah, and we drove through a tree

I told you they were big.
First Shot in Oregon...First Shot in Oregon...
First Shot in Oregon...

Our sights for a road side meal. Pan Seared Red Snapper with vegetable medley over cilantro lime rice. (she married me for my camp meals)


19th May 2013

cannon beach
check out cannon beach, a cool town! your pictures are intense. that river looks great!! way to go, you two!!
19th May 2013

Hi guys, this is my favorite area that you have been gracious enough to take us to so far. Love the trees, the river, I can just smell the freshness in the air.
20th May 2013

Cal & Oregon Wow
I'm getting pretty jealous ! Pretty amazing views & life. Enjoy. Miss you both. Are you really going to come back ?

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb