Small town California


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Super Bowl 34 TrophySuper Bowl 34 TrophySuper Bowl 34 Trophy

When Dick Vermeil coached the St. Louis Rams to a victory over the Titans
Today we went to Calistoga to do the touristy thing. Selected a route that looked interesting and yes, it included a bit of road construction. I discovered that California had a "Petrified Forest" and stopped by for a viewing. It seems that an volcanic eruption 3.4 million years ago created the onlyredwood petrified forest. There is a short, winding trail on a hillside where you can view the trees. I have been to the Petrified Forest N.P. and this is quite different. There is shade on the walk!

Then on to Calistoga in search of a local brewery and other interesting sights. Right off the start I found the brewery closed for remodeling after a fire. So much for the first plan. Right across the street was the Vermiel wine shop. Familiar name, and yes, it was Dick Vermiel. Dick was not present but his childhood friend and winery owner Mary Sue Freidini was in charge of tasting. Deb had a flight tasting of 5 wines while I looked at the memorabilia in the shop. Mary Sue was an ambassador for the town, telling us interesting sights that were' must sees' in town.

We visited the Ca'Toga Gallery that had the works of
Redwood RevivalRedwood RevivalRedwood Revival

A live tree growing from a split in a petrified tree
Carlo Marchiori. It was unbelievable. The artist works with many mediums -shells,walnuts,bones,antlers as well as ceramics.

After the wine tasting I felt the need to find food. We found a great Mexican restaurant "the Pacifico" where appetizers were $4 and Charlie got his beer. I had the chicken wings and they were excellent even the BBQ sauce was good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

GiantGiant
Giant

You can even see the bark
GalleryGallery
Gallery

Examples of Marchiori's work
Ceiling of GalleryCeiling of Gallery
Ceiling of Gallery

This mural covered the entire ceiling of the gallery
Guard DogGuard Dog
Guard Dog

Security in one shop in Calistoga


10th July 2013

Have fun!!!
Glad you two are enjoying yourselves. Looking foword to tasting some wine myself!!!! Be Safe see ya when you get back!!!!!!

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb