Anyone for a Swim in the RV?


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Look no flooring!Look no flooring!Look no flooring!

Salvaged RV
The camping trip is upon up us, we leave this afternoon and hopefully not hours later than planned, us being Dale and I plus 3 granddaughters and the daughter of our Belgium friend.

Our grandson doesn’t want to drive up with us and we are a little bit disappointed but also a little relieved. He fights with each of the girls in no particular order, mostly just words; pick, pick, pick.

We went up to our youngest son’s on Saturday for our granddaughter’s birthday party but just made it a turnaround trip. We told them we just knew something would go wrong if we stayed overnight. And since Dale worked Monday and today we could be in trouble with leaving by 2 p.m.

On Sunday Dale stayed home to ready the RV while I took two granddaughters for the huge grocery shopping trip. It took some time as we had to shop at other places too and granddaughters just add time to any trip. We got home to find water running out of the bottom of the RV, not a good sign.

I went straight into the RV where Dale was sponging water out. It seems he had started to fill the water tank and walked away, as he has done before. This time however the overflow hose had cracked above the floor level allowing the water to pour into the RV. My stomach sank as I realized, being a property claims adjuster, what this meant.

After putting groceries inside the house instead of straight into the RV, we reviewed the situation together. Carpet was soaked, water in the heater ducting meaning that it was also likely under the vinyl.

We ripped out the carpet and the wet parts of the vinyl and tore out the felt in the basement. In our favor was the fact that it was a very hot day with a great breeze. We left the basement doors open as well as every other door and window so that everything actually dried quickly.

Monday morning I called out a water restoration company just to test the walls and by yesterday afternoon they came out and found the walls to be dry but the bottom insulation soaked in standing water. Dale cut the plastic barrier and water poured out on him. We then talked with our local RV repair shop and he assured us that the wood floor is fine and the whole thing is an easy repair. We think we will go back with better carpet, pad and actually wood flooring, something we’d wanted to do anyway!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.494s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb