Let's paddle Lake Clementine (North Fork Lake) American River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Auburn
October 16th 2005
Published: October 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A wonderful day for kayakingA wonderful day for kayakingA wonderful day for kayaking

After mounting our kayak the night before, we're ready to go.
The forecast for today was 80 degrees plus and clear skies - a perfect day to take our new Wilderness Systems Kayak for a cruise. We bought a Tarpon model 130T, it's a tandem for double the fun.

Originally, my brother-in-law Hugh and his lovely wife Nicolette were to join us as they too have recently bought kayaks. The call came early this morning, it was Nicolette, Hugh was not feeling well and they would have to cancel. The kayak was loaded onto the car the night before so we headed out for Lake Clementine ourselves.

Lake Clementine is only 15 minutes from our house - I just hate those long drives to recreate. After arriving at the lake, we paddled for a couple hours before finding a secluded cove for lunch. We were enjoying our cheese, bagget bread and grapes when a friendly kayaker approched. It turns out that this kayaker named Sylvester was a local Auburnite born in Poland and was quite an interesting fellow. After Sylvester's departure, we finished our lunch and were back out on the lake.

Two of the features of Lake Clementine is the over-flow dam and what is known as Lime
Our approch to the lakeOur approch to the lakeOur approch to the lake

Dock and launching area.
Rock. The over-flow dam was created to prevent silt and debris (caused by hydralic mining) from reaching the Sacramento River and its delta. The other feature is Lime Rock or Robber's Roost, an exposed section of gray limestone which juts out of the hillside. Erosion has carved out hollows which serve as nesting sites for turkey vultures, a common site over the lake.

Another hour or so of paddling after lunch we headed back to the dock area. We paddled enough for our first day out kayaking. Sure did miss you Hugh and Nicki, maybe next time, if we are lucky enough to get more sunny warm weather this late in the year.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Welcome to Clementine LakeWelcome to Clementine Lake
Welcome to Clementine Lake

At the launch site.
Over-flow damOver-flow dam
Over-flow dam

This is one of the features of the lower Lake Clementine area.
At the lakeAt the lake
At the lake

Dockside and launch area.
On the lakeOn the lake
On the lake

Holly sits up front while I take some photos.
Lime RockLime Rock
Lime Rock

From a distance.
Nice spot for lunchNice spot for lunch
Nice spot for lunch

At a secluded cove.
Just in time for lunchJust in time for lunch
Just in time for lunch

Local Auburnite and fellow kayaker - Sylvester.
Lunch is over, lets get back on the lakeLunch is over, lets get back on the lake
Lunch is over, lets get back on the lake

Holly ready for more paddle action.
Over-flowOver-flow
Over-flow

Silt and debris dam at Lake Clementine.
End of a wonderful dayEnd of a wonderful day
End of a wonderful day

Time to go home.


19th October 2005

Kayak
The first and last time Bob and I paddled in a kayak was on the lagoon at Bora Bora and when I jumped out of the front on to dry land the kayak tipped backwards and Bob was under the water!! Much laughter on my part but Bob was not amused. Nevermind we learnt a lesson to both get out at the same time if we ever get the urge again to go kayaking!

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb