Put to Work On Our Vacation


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Alturas
September 25th 2019
Published: October 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Bekki’s parents were at Nate and Bekki’s house prior to our arrival. We always enjoy meeting up with Alan and Julie (Bekki’s parents) as they are really nice and we have much in common, so we were happy to see them.

Bekki had work lined up for all of us parents to do but, as we tell our children regularly, “we are not paid to think and we do only what is good enough for government work”. Our kids knew what to expect from us!

Our job was to harvest the corn. This was not just any corn, but rather corn to be ground into a flour, it is dried on the stock. I had picked corn as a 10-year old-child, the 1st time I’d seen corn growing. Before that I didn’t even think of where corn came from other than the grocery store. So, we were to pick this corn off of the stock and put it into barrels. I quit a bit before the others because I wanted to shoot some photos of it all.

This corn was beautiful, cobs of every color. I was surprised when Nate said that the flour would have some color speckles in it but, because the inside of the kernels was white the flour would mostly be white. I took several cobs for our table decoration.

After picking all of the corn and putting the ears into barrels we were tired and hot. We went in for lunch with some nice cold beer/white wine.

Bekki wanted for me to harvest basil but then decided that the basil could wait for another day. We only harvested veggies for dinner.

Alan made soup out of the turkey he had roasted last night for dinner and we played the rest of our day away. Kids made sure that we kept busy playing with them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.392s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb