Day 6 - Grand Canyon National Park, AZ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
June 27th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mary's CafeMary's CafeMary's Cafe

I felt like I was back in Georgia!
Had a great night's sleep and ready for the Grand Canyon. We left around 5 am and stopped at a great local place called Mary's Cafe. We had our usual hearty breakfast as we've been sticking to two meals a day. Just worked out that way. The ride to the Grand Canyon was in perfect weather. Cool enough for jackets but didn't need chaps. We went by miles and miles of property without power lines or houses.

We arrived around 10am and made our first stop and view of the Canyon at the Watchtower. It is an awesome site. Took a lot of pictures. We then headed for a place to get gas which we had to go back outside the park's South Entrance to find a station. We noticed across the street was the National Geographic IMAX theater. They showed a movie every hour about the Grand Canyon so we decided to check that out. Packed Piper in my doggie purse and headed in. Checked out all the gifts/souvenir shops and watched the movie. It definitely made you respect the Canyon and the river that runs through it.

After that, we headed to the campground. Found out the showers are at the no hookup campground. They only bathrooms at the hookup campground so we roughed it tonight. It was about 90 degrees but a heavy breeze blowing all the time so we didn't even use the A/C. I knew it was going to get much cooler tonight. We set up in about an hour then headed out for more site seeing. Visited the Yavapai Obsservation Point, took more pictures. George decided it was time to eat again. We found a cafeteria and ate our dinner there. Got back to the campsite and talked to our neighbors who traveled there from Maryland. Again we crashed early, around 8pm.

Tomorrow is a trip through the Mojave Desert so we know we have an early and hot day ahead toward Barstow, CA.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Colorado RiverColorado River
Colorado River

12X zoom shot showing the rapids on the river.
George, Lydia and PiperGeorge, Lydia and Piper
George, Lydia and Piper

We look SO SMALL


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb