Day 5 - Gallup, NM to Flagstaff, AZ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
June 26th 2010
Published: June 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our travels today were only 177 mi. We left at 6 am though because we had several stops to make. At 7 am we had already reached the entrance to the Petrified Forest National Park because we went through a time change when we entered Arizona. The painted desert was amazing. The "forest" was a little disappointiing as they were all petrified fallen chunks of logs. I guess it's one of those things you can say 'been there, done that'. At least the weather cooperated and it was MUCH cooler today, in the 70's. Getting up in elevation around 6000 ft.

After we left there, we headed to the Flagstaff KOA campground. Took about an hour to set up which wasn't bad since this is our first night on this trip camping. Then it was on to Sedona through the mountains to a Harley shop to buy more T-shirts. The ride was wonderful and very curvy in places. The amazing part was seeing Red Rocks. They are huge. Since we were in the valley though, it was pretty hot. As George says, 'I don't do hot very well'. We headed back to the campsite and then found a little cafe to eat dinner. Great food again.

Tomorrow it's on to the Grand Canyon. Hopefully, the fires they had this week on the highway up there are not still smoldering. That might make it a difficult ride. Everyone here says the fires have been contained. We'll see tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Painted DesertPainted Desert
Painted Desert

Panoramic view of Desert
Petrified Logs Petrified Logs
Petrified Logs

Me and Piper
Petrified fallen treePetrified fallen tree
Petrified fallen tree

George and Piper on tree
Flagstaff KOAFlagstaff KOA
Flagstaff KOA

Our Campsite


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb