Ghosts of the Past


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
May 30th 2009
Published: May 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

New jobs for Sue and GailNew jobs for Sue and GailNew jobs for Sue and Gail

Now wouldn't this be exciting. We would never have to paint our toenails again because our feet would be purple.
Yesterday was another day of exploration for Gail and Sue...we do want you to know that we did find something that we could both do and make a little money too if we decide to winter in Arizona.

We first explored Montezuma Castle. It is one of a number of well-preserved ancient dwellings in north central Arizona. It is probably the most spectacular; an imposing 20 room, 5-storey structure built into a recess in a white limestone cliff about 70 feet above the ground. When first (re)discovered the ruins were thought to be Aztec in origin. The early explorers believed that Montezuma came up from Mexico to worship here but it seems he never traveled this far north. It is now known that the dwelling belonged to the Sinagua Indian peoples (Sine-gua = without water) who farmed the surrounding land between 1100 and 1300 AD. Historians are not sure why they left - drought, disease, war - whatever, it is believed that they joined up with the Hopi Nation to the north, which were also an agriculturally based people.

Montezuma Castle is near the town of Camp Verde at the end of a side road that winds across flat
Montezuma CastleMontezuma CastleMontezuma Castle

We actually took these pics. This cave was home to 35 people on 5 different levels. So while it looks small in the pics, it is really quite stunning to see.
scrubland and down into the valley formed by Beaver Creek. This creek was a small stream, but a reliable source of water all year round and hence a good locality for the Sinagua to establish a home. The area beside the creek is really quite succulent compared to much of the area around it. We took note of the Arizona sycamore, a big tree with a very distinctive bark. It has broad leaves that would have provided shade down beside the creek banks where the Sinagua would have grown crops. Since 1951, visitors have not been permitted to climb up to the ruins due to their unstable condition but the site is definitely worth a visit. We even talked to an artist who was painting the castle. It was quite amazing to see the castle come to life on his canvas.

It was 90 degrees at Montezuma Castle but as we headed west to Cottonwood and Jerome, the rains came again and the temp dropped to 70 degrees. We have brought great rains to this normally parched little corner of the world. We are certainly to be revered and honored as the natives pray for rain and have special ceremonies. I guess they never figured rain would come in the form of Gail and Sue.

Several days ago, we had looked at an ad for a mobile home in Cottonwood for $15,000 - you know the one we would use for 4-6 months/year and would rent out to a poor Mexican family for the other 6 months as long as they kept it clean. Alas, there were lots of mobile homes in Cottonwood but we never did find the advertised one.

Once in Cottonwood we joined up with Hwy 89A. If you take this highway north from Sedona to Flagstaff, it is twisty and curvy with drop-offs, like in the side of a cliff. Hwy 89A south from Cottonwood to Jerome, high in the hills, is even better (Gail) or scarier (Sue) depending on who you ask. Gail has absolutely no fear of heights but even at the best of times, her center of balance is a bit (or a lot) off, so Sue has had to keep reminding her that there is a 5000 ft drop if she goes off the edge. Well, she was already a bit off the edge when we got here so
The "dog house"The "dog house"The "dog house"

Sue told Gail that this was the dog house for wayward husbands...Gail believed her. Actually there were several smaller caves that were probably used for storage.
maybe 5000 ft is not that far.

Honestly, the climb from Cottonwood at 3000 feet to Jerome at 5000 feet elevation, is unbelievable. Again, something we are glad we did not miss. From [url=http://www.azjerome.com/

Jerome Arizona is considered "America's Most Vertical City" and "Largest Ghost Town in America".

Located high on top of Cleopatra Hill (5,200 feet) between Prescott and Flagstaff, it is a historic copper mining town. Once known as the wickedest town in the west, Jerome was a copper mining camp, growing from a settlement of tents to a roaring mining community. Founded in 1876, Jerome was once the fourth largest city in the Arizona Territory. The population peaked at 15,000 in the 1920's. The Depression of the 1930's slowed the mining operation and the claim went to Phelps Dodge, who holds the claim today. World War II brought increased demand for copper, but after the war, demand slowed again. Dependant on the copper market, Phelps Dodge Mine closed in 1953. The remaining 50 to 100 hardy souls promoted the town as a historic ghost town. In 1967 Jerome was designated a National Historic District by the federal government. Today Jerome is a thriving
tourist and artist community with a population of about 450. It includes a modicum of artists, craft people, musicians, writers, hermits, bed and breakfast owners, museum caretakers, gift shop proprietors and fallen-down-building landlords.

Jerome is an enchanting town, and a photographer's paradise. From its external appearances it hasn't changed much in nearly 100 years. Many of the buildings used by present-day business folks are those built after the fires of 1894 and 1899. A number of the buildings have been restored and more are planned for restoration. Due to the 30-degree incline of the mountainside, gravity has pulled a number of buildings down the slope. To the delight of some, one of those buildings was the town's jail. One notable section is the "Cribs District." You will find this area across the street from the English Kitchen, in a back alley where all the buildings were are part of Jerome's ill-famed "prostitution row."

We climbed (in the car) to the highest point of the town where Jerome's Grand Hotel now sits. It was the sight of the town's hospital, which at one time was the best maned and equipped hospital for miles around. It sat empty for many years until about 10 years ago when some enterprising souls (or bodies) bought it and have started to refurbish it. It is reportedly haunted. They keep a book of "ghost sightings" and people write down the experiences they have had while staying in the hotel. There were many entries from people who were born in the hospital and have come back to visit. Sue cannot imagine being in labor and trying to get up the hill to the hospital...that would be a haunting experience itself. The hospital/hotel has been the subject of a Paranormal Sightings TV show and apparently the most activity is on the 3rd floor. They have a functioning Otis elevator from the 1920's.

Gail and Sue decided a drink...or 2 or 3 was in order. Gail had Fruedian Slips (martinis). We sat at the bar in the Asylum. Bartender Cody is one of the town's tattoo artists and had his own stories re the haunted building. One night he and another waiter had locked everything up and sat for a drink before heading home. When they went to leave, the bolted windows and the door to the kitchen were all open. The lights in the kitchen
Tide be GoneTide be GoneTide be Gone

Here is a description of the Western Soapberry. A pic of the tree follows altho there were no berries on the tree at this time.
had been turned on and all the cupboards opened. They high-tailed it out of there. Gail did not feel any ghostly vibes but maybe because she threatened that if they were present, they would need to buy the next round of drinks. After 2 Mindbending Margueritas, Sue had to make sure she was sober enough to get us down off the mountain so ate these hellish hot boneless chicken wings without blinking.

When Gail drinks she gets even more friendly, if you can imagine...there was a young lady sitting beside us and she said she a Cody original tattoo on her leg. Of course, we had to see it and Gail had to take a picture because there were fish in it. Cody told Gail that if she came back for a tattoo, he would certainly be happy to tattoo a fish with lips anywhere she wants it. Now that would be a daunting haunting. So after blowing nearly $100 just on drinks and appetizers, we didn't even have a meal, we took leave of the Asylum and sadly headed back to Sedona.

A few days after arriving here, we had traveled to Cottonwood, the sight of the closest Wal-mart (Gail had googled this before we left) where we picked up some folding chairs so we could relax and enjoy a nice picnic by the side of the road on a warm sunny Arizona day. Because of the rain, we took the chairs back to Wal-mart for a refund because we never took them out of the car. Actually, it wasn't sad at all...we have had such a good time doing other things. Over the past several days, there are flower blossoms where there weren't any when we arrived. The rain brings good things.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Beaver CreekBeaver Creek
Beaver Creek

Water is source of life for all the aboriginal people of Arizona so even this little creek was an important part of life.
Handicap parking onlyHandicap parking only
Handicap parking only

We felt right at home when we saw these in the parking area. Asylum in the name of the bar and restaurant.
In front of the Grand HotelIn front of the Grand Hotel
In front of the Grand Hotel

The after picture would have looked much different.
The Otis elevatorThe Otis elevator
The Otis elevator

Gail set the scene for this one...half closing the door. There really was a lamp and seat on the elevator. This is not an elevator for the claustrophobically inclined.
Left in the asylumLeft in the asylum
Left in the asylum

This guy is quite petrified...he chose to stay in the hospital when it was closed and now sits outside the Asylum greeting folks as best he can.
The AsylumThe Asylum
The Asylum

This was the bar we sat at. It was a good time and we were quite mellow when we left.
In the AsylumIn the Asylum
In the Asylum

Sue wishes her other experiences in an asylum had been this good.
Cody's tattooCody's tattoo
Cody's tattoo

Gail has to ask "why?", "can I see?", or "what are you doing?" at every turn. So we did have the joy of seeing this wonderful tattoo a water scene with fish on this stranger's leg.
A picture of the town from the AsylumA picture of the town from the Asylum
A picture of the town from the Asylum

These pics were challenging to take since every road is at a 30 degree angle...but much easier after Gail had a few Freudian slips.


31st May 2009

Good Times
Hi Blisters! We just finished your latest update. Montezumas Castle looks so amazing! I bet its really something to see in person. Loved the "doghouse" idea much better than storage. Our laugh out loud moment was definately the "floatation therapy"! I thought it would be right up my alley until your story. I can't imagine all the things going through Sues mind as she was waiting to be rescued. You would think they would put an emergency button or intercom system in them for these situations. I'm glad you traveled together, otherwise, heaven only knows what condition Sue would be in by now! And Gail, I can just picture you clawing and fighting your way outta that thing! Too funny! My favorite picture is Beaver Creek. Love it! It looks so peaceful and calming and beautiful! We can't remember when you heading back to these parts. We are leaving for Vegas Monday morning and my sinuses are really looking forward to it. Have safe travels home and thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I am totally impressed with your blog! Good job Sue! :) I wouldn't have the knowledge or the patience to do something like that. By the way, we got your postcard and letter! Thank you! That was so thoughtful! Happy travels! Love ya!
31st May 2009

WOW!
Blisters, thanks for the tour, I personally would not of gone up that mountain without being sedated, nor the elevator. The pictures are wonderful thanks for sharing. This is great for me, because I get to the city limits and get home sick. Was the asylum and motel right next to each other? I sure hope Sue will go over the pictures with me if she comes back. We have had rain almost every day. Nice to the sun in your pics. Did you give a resume?
31st May 2009

Mexican family
Hi Sue and Gail, Do Armando and I qualify as the poor mexican family? We promise to keep the trailer clean!!! Just returned from North Carolina and am reading about your antics. What a great laugh plus education. Continue blogging!!! it is great.
31st May 2009

Yes, of course
But the months you would have to live in Arizona are June-July to December-January!!
31st May 2009

Catherine
Of course, I will review it with you when I get home. And I do have some bits and pieces of the petrified forest to share with people who need it.
31st May 2009

Just to clarify
I knew someone would eventually come and rescue me so I really wasn't feeling panicked at all...just frustrated that I couldn't get a footing in the slippery tank.
31st May 2009

what an adventure !!!
I have never laughed and cried so much ...following you both has been great fun..thanks..
31st May 2009

blisters in the desert sun
Your documentary is intriguing. The photos are beautiful. Have always wanted to see these aboriginal homes carved in the mountain side.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb