Grand Canyon at last


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tusayan
October 29th 2010
Published: October 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello all

Fun day today. Early start with a predictable fight with the rental car company as they substituted a 6 cyl Chevvy Impala with a 4 cyl Camry. Jeez I hate these guys. Hertz this time but it really makes no difference. They are all as bad as one another and they know you need the car TODAY so they screw you.

Anyway, they threw in at no charge a GPS (big deal - didn’t need one) and the extra driver charge.

And at least the Camry has a familiar feel about it ……..

So then driving on ‘the other side’ for 440 kms. NO SWEAT! Chris was so confident she slept most of the way.

Had to wake her up for the Boulder / Hoover dam visit. That thing is huge = and the amount of water in Lake Mead is surprising. Plenty of rec boating in there also. Nice and handy to Vegas.

Also got to go over the new bridge that only opened while we were in Nawlins. Fantastic structure. Previously all traffic had to go over the dam wall - and with the strategic importance of that, security checks are required.

Then uneventful trip to the Grand Canyon entrance to a very nice Best Western Hotel. Great Dinns too.

In the short time we were here ( because of extensive roadworks, we were driving more than 7 hours), we have purchased our entry ticket for the GC and set up a helicopter flight over the canyon on first thing Saturday morning. Nice little country town this one - Tusayan Arizona.

Along the way part of the journey was spent on the infamous Route 66 - although sadly new highway numbering code numbers have stuffed up the romance of the thing.

Some pics from the journey as well as a few last shots of Vegas.

BTW, the internet connection here is slow at best so it may be some time before this gets posted - but it was done on time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb