Day 9: Contiki Day 3 - Las Vegas to Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: December 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Temp: -2 Degree

Bags to coach 7:45am, but we wanted to get up early and write our blogs from the past two days and try and get to Maccas to use the WIFI to upload them. After our 6am start it soon was time to leave Vagas. The town proved a little too much for some people & we didn't ended up leaving until a little before 8:30am. As we were leaving Vegas you could see the snow on the Mountainsthat was causing the air to be so icy. Todays drive to the Grand canyon should have been only about 6-7 hours but becuase we left late and the weather it took close to 10 hours.

Our first stop for the day was a few hours in for lunch, and we got to visit our very first Walmart, aand it didn't disapoint. There really are 'People of walmart' out there!!, the hard part is trying to secure a sneaky pic. Walmarts are rediculous, we stocked up on some fruit, alcholol, snack & extra winter clother in preparation for the very cold weather we heard the grand canyon was having. Lunch was also a first for us, as recomended to us by our tour manager Monty & our driver Willy we got the In N' Out Double Double burger animal style it was very yummy. Before long our hour was up and we were off again. Still about 4 hours away from our destination Monty put in a movie 'Cars' as we were about to head onto a older section of Route 66 they say the movie is based on, Seligman Arizona. So it was only fitting that our second stop was in this town, a quick stop for pictures & souvenirs and then off again.

It was long before the weather started to get in our way, there were so many accidents along the way that we ended up just sitting in the middle of the road not moving more than half a dozen times, at on point it was a 1/2 an hour we sent stationary. It wasn't too bad though as Emma & i have gotten quite good at the power nap and managed to sleep through a good coulpe of hours, enough time to thanfully miss most of our second feature presentation '21'.

We arrived at our lodge in the Grand Canyon National Park at around 6:45pm, quickly dumped our bags and headed over to get some dinner at the lodge. Most of the contiki had a early night as a bunch of us are going on a helicopter flight over the grand canyon tomorrow (fingers crossed the weather is better that today so we get to fly!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



17th December 2012

Cold?
Ha ha. I bet you are freezing. Cant wait to see the uncensored pics from Walmart when you get home :-)
17th December 2012

cooled
will we be ready for the cool girls as its going to be 39 on Sunday here. Looks great to see things you dont see over here keep up the pic love them heaps mum xxx000

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb