Get closer dear, the view is amazing...(Part Deux)


Advertisement
Published: October 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Got up on Sunday morning and looked out the window of our bedroom to see the most amazing view. When we arrived last night at 9pm the canyon was dark so we could not see a thing. The B&B is at the entrance to the canyon and the first formation, The Watchman, is in their backyard. Rising ~2500 feet above the town of Springdale, The Watchman blocks the sun from shining on the B&B until ~10am during the fall and winter months. We joined the other guests for breakfast. Larry was preparing omelettes, and Mychal prepared a fruit plate for Pam and a grape "thingy" for me (sliced grapes with a dollop of whipped cream sweetened with agave nectar and a sprinkle of raw sugar topped with a sprig of mint). while we enjoyed our breakfast we chatted with a couple from Cape Cod, Mike and Katrina, who were leaving to hike Escalante area.

After breakfast we loaded the SUV and headed for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We had to drive through Zion Canyon...a truly amazing drive with switchbacks climbing the side of the canyon and passing through a mile long tunnel to come out on the east side of the canyon. We continued to Mt. Carmel Junction where you turn right to go to the Grand Canyon or left to go to Bryce Canyon. We stopped at the White Mountain Trading Post to pick up some water, cheese and bananas for snacks. This is apparently a popular stop for tour buses. When we arrived there were two buses in the parking lot and the trading post was filled with Japanese and Chinese tourists headed to Zion. We collected our snacks and headed toward the Grand Canyon.

We arrived at the canyon around noon. The weather was slightly overcast and cool. The lodge was closing for the season and the employees were busy winterizing the cabins. We went to the overlook behind the lodge and took some panoramic shots of the canyon, then jumped in the car to drive around to the Cape Royal overlook where the Colorado River is visible. While I was taking a panoramic shot of the canyon at the Angel's Window, there was a rain shower inside the canyon which made for a really cool shot. There is no way to describe adequately in words or photos the magnificence of the Grand Canyon.

While inside the Grand Canyon Park, I was able to get some photos of the aspen trees with their fall color. They are typically only present at higher elevations (above 5000 feet)...the North Rim is at ~8800 feet. We also caught a glimpse of the Kaibab squirrel with its characteristic black body and white tail, a horned lizard, and the rear end of an elk.

We got back to the east entrance of Zion Canyon at ~7:30pm. The canyon road is currently closed from 8pm - 8am for road construction. We had to drive down through the canyon (tunnel and switchbacks) in the dark. Pam was a nervous wreck (reminiscent of the Ring of Kerry, without the rain, fog and road rally - see earlier entry). We made it safely into Springdale and had dinner at The Spotted Dog Cafe (pork chops with Black Mission fig reduction and meatloaf prepared from buffalo and elk). Arrived back at the B&B exhausted and fell asleep immediately.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb