Not exactly!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
October 16th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

SUV #1 and #7SUV #1 and #7SUV #1 and #7

Rental car sitting in front of Zion Canyon B&B.
The trip started great...smooth flight and early arrival in Las Vegas. We collected our luggage and headed for the rental car desk. We had reserved an SUV with Thrifty through Southwest Airlines because they are partners and were offering bonus flight credits with SWA. I normally use Hertz, but figured they couldn't be that different. Six SUV's and three hours later we conclude that they are "NOT EXACTLY" like Hertz. After standing 45 minutes in line to do the paperwork, we are brought an SUV to inspect (SUV #1, White GMC Acadia). We find a chip in the windshield and notify the attendant. She calls for another SUV for us to inspect (SUV #2, Gray GMC Acadia). This one also had a chip in the windshield. Again, we notify the attendant and suggest that they waive the inspection and let us leave with SUV #1. They explain that they cannot allow us to take an SUV with a chipped windshield, so they bring us another SUV (SUV #3, White Chevy Tahoe). No chipped windshield, but too big and a third row of seats that did not fold away so we could load our luggage. We complained and they brought another SUV (SUV #4, White Ford Explorer). This one had just been returned and cleaned, and when we opened the rear hatch it was completely soaked (either a bad leak or they had it open when it was being washed). We pointed this out to the attendant and they brought yet another SUV (SUV #5, Gray Jeep Grand Cherokee). Upon inspection, this one had a chip in the windshield. By now there had been a shift change in the garage and the new attendant was anxious to get us out of their hair. She sent for another SUV and we were delivered SUV #6, which happened to be SUV #2 (Gray GMC Acadia). We point this out, and they bring SUV #7, which turned out to be SUV #1 (White GMC Acadia). The attendant is upset with us because we won't take one of these SUV's. We continue to suggest that she get the manager to sign off on SUV #1. She finally calls the manager who, upon inspection of the chip, gladly signs off on the matter. We explained that we had suggested this after SUV #2 and this could have been remedied in the first half hour had he been notified. Nevertheless, we are happy to be out of the garage and on our way.

We had not eaten since breakfast and it is now 4:30pm. I suggest that it would be easier to grab a bite once we get out of Las Vegas. We hit the interstate and head out of town toward Utah. Once we clear the city, Pam pulls up the list of restaurants on the GPS and the arrows all point behind us! Little did I know that once you clear the city there is nothing but desert for 70 miles. We finally manage to find an Arby's in Mesquite, Nevada, and grab a quick bite so we can get back on the road to the B&B. By now we are running ~2.5 hours behind our scheduled arrival.

We arrive at Zion Canyon B&B in Springdale, Utah, at 9pm. We are greeted by Liz and Mychal who show us to our room, The Master. It is decorated in a Southwest motif complete with 7' tall metal cactus sculpture with metal scorpion at the base, stuffed mountain lion, cedar log king size bed, 50" HDTV with satellite, 3 sided fireplace between the bedroom and bath, steam shower, jacuzzi tub and walk-in closet...and a bottle of chilled champagne for Pam's birthday. We went out on the private patio, and Pam noticed something that looked like a very large moth, or a normal sized bat! I guess the patio is not as private as advertised. We enjoyed the champagne inside, and decided to call it a night so we could get an early start the next day.

Advertisement



19th October 2010

Glad you guys are finally able to spend some time away!! Have a blast....Miss you and love you bunches!!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb