You remind me of a man. What man?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
October 21st 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We decided to explore Bryce Canyon on Monday. Awoke to a wonderful breakfast of scrambled eggs and maple bacon with fresh fruit plate and granola with yogurt. The other guests that were staying overnight were not as chatty so we finished breakfast and got on the road for Bryce. Drove back through Zion Canyon and over to Mt. Carmel Junction. Stopped at the trading post to pick up supplies for the day. There was a tour bus in the parking lot so we wondered what nationality was touring the park today. Upon entering the store we caught the distinct sound of French being spoken. We gathered our supply water, bananas and cheese for the day and headed for Bryce. The drive from Mt. Carmel to Bryce is dramatically different from the drive to the North Rim. The cottonwoods along the river were bright yellow, and the drive through Red Canyon was a small sample of the dramatic formations in Bryce.

The road in Bryce follows the rim of the canyon with a series of overlooks. We drove to the farthest overlook, Rainbow Point, and then worked our way back to the park entrance stopping at each overlook to take photos. Rainbow Point is also the highest elevation in the park at 9115 feet. We quickly realized we were inadequately prepared for the weather in Bryce. Having come from Zion where the elevation at the canyon floor is 3800 feet and the daily highs were in the 70's, we did not expect the temperature to be in the 40's. We brought jackets and fleece, but the 25mph winds and partly cloudy skies quickly chilled us. We did not do any hikes in the canyon on this trip, just checked the views from the overlooks. The southern end of the park road (farthest from entrance) offers panoramic views, while the northern end of the park road (amphitheater region) has the highest concentration of "hoodoos", the unique vertical rock formations for which Bryce is famous. The moving clouds created a constantly changing palette of colors. As we reached the last overlook, Fairyland Point, a thunderstorm moved in behind the formations. I managed to catch a lightning strike in the background with the canyon in the foreground. Happened to be in the right place at the right time.

We headed back to Zion and managed to get through the canyon before dark. We were passing through Zion during sunset and found a spot to come back tomorrow for a sunset shot in Zion. Had a marginal dinner in Hurricane and got in late to the B&B. Tomorrow we will go up to Kolob Terrace and then spend the afternoon in Zion and finish up with a sunset shot in Zion.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb