USA-Cruise-Europe-Day 6


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 6



This day was our trip to the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

We left early & stopped first at the Hoover Dam.







After leaving Hoover Dam we drove on towards Grand Canyon. Saw many Hills, some quite spectacular, some also still had snow on them. When we were closer to Grand Canyon there were pockets of snow on the ground.








We did not arrive in the Grand Canyon (South Rim) till after 12:30 - it was a very long drive. We stopped at the Tourist Information
Centre & bought our Entrance tickets. The tickets entitle you to parking & transport via a shuttle to the various scenic lookouts.

We parked the cars at Yavapai Point, where we saw our first views of the canyon. Far down in the valley you could just see the Colarado
River, which looked green.







We rode the shuttle to the next viewpoint & we walked along a trail to the next bus stop. The views were amazing.
At a few places we saw some squirrels.







Next stop was Maricopa Point.







Then we took the shuttle to Mohave Point. You could see a much better view of the Colorado River from the lookout. Also saw this tree with no leaves which made a good picture.







Last stop before returning to the car was Hermit's Rest. There was a restaurant/souvenir shop & other needed facilities.







We left just before Sunset for the long journey back to Las Vegas. We stopped after a couple of hours of driving to have dinner at a Cracker Barrel Restauant. Did not reach our holiday house until after midnight!








Advertisement



Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb