RAFTING TRIP DAY 6


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

quotation here


LINKS


None

TRAVEL TIPS


We’re here in the Grand Canyon looking up; the sun’s starting to come up. It’s going to be another beautiful day. Everybody is up and moving about. We’re going to get a good start this morning, get on the river, get ahead of people. This is the last day of the real rapids. We have one coming up called Lava Rocks, which is the biggest. Then there are a bunch of small ones after that, but it will be a pretty easy day, except we’re going to be out in the sun, baking. So they brought water cannons and buckets and stuff like that to douse us down and keep us cool. We’ll drink lots of water.
The deeper into the canyon we go, the more rock is exposed and the hotter it gets. The sand absorbs the sun all day and by night, it seems to release this heat slowly. So it is hot trying to sleep, a wet T-shirt helps.
Our guides are really knowledgeable about the geology of the canyon. They would take quiet times on the river to point out layers of rock, volcanic activity, etc. They also took
Grand CanyonGrand CanyonGrand Canyon

Hope you understand the name. I am glad they did’nt call it the Tait River
turns reading from John Wesley Powell’s adventures, as well as several poems and short stories appropriate to the setting.
There is a good feeling of camaraderie and fun. The staff has made an effort to learn each person’s name.
This has been an adventure of a lifetime. It is, for me, the longest camp trip I’ve ever taken. While I miss my bath and hair dryer, it is the only way to experience the magnitude and beauty of the Colorado!
Well, - end of the day - beautiful campsite right at the edge of the river with some ripples. The wind is blowing a little bit; it usually takes a while to die down about this time of day. They tied the two rafts together for tomorrow’s last trip toward Lake Mead. The two boats will be floating together; we’ll be singing songs and having fun. This is our last night at camp. Today we hit a lot of rapids, had some water battles, and saw yet another beautiful waterfalls. Of course, we went up to the falls and played for a little while.
This has been an adventure of a lifetime. It is, for me, the longest camp trip I’ve ever taken. While I miss my bath and hair dryer, it is the only way to experience the magnitude and beauty of the Colorado!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb