Arizona by Train, part 1 (Getting There)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
April 28th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the TrainOn the TrainOn the Train

The train ride was fun, we met some very interesting people.
In the summer of 1995, we decided to drive to Arizona to discover the Grand Canyon and other natural or man made wonders that we had read about. The nearest town to the canyon is Flagstaff, so that was our destination. However, we only got as far as Toronto when our vehicle developed some major problems. I guess you'd call having the entire muffler and tail pipe go crash, clatter, bang on the 401 a major problem! We had it repaired but our destination was too far to risk continuing the trip with that vehicle. So we went back home, very disappointed indeed.
But, not wanting to accept defeat, we came up with the bright idea to take the train out! (We had inquired about air fare, but it was way too expensive.) So... we boarded the Amtrak train in Montreal bound for Schenectady N.Y. and our first transfer. We had an hour's wait so we explored the town; at least the area surrounding the station. It is a typical american small town with a small historical area which we found quite interesting. It's name comes from the Mohawk natives who first inhabited the area and roughly means "near the pines"
Schenectady N.Y.Schenectady N.Y.Schenectady N.Y.

Our first stop, in the Hudson Valley.

Our next stop was Union Station in Chicago. There, we also had some time to explore. It was extremely hot, but we walked all the way to the waterfront. I really liked chicago, it's a beautiful city. The drainage canals and many bridges give it a particular charm.
The last leg of the trip took us through what we were told was roughly the old Santa Fe Trail. It took about 36 hours from Chicago to Flagstaff with the entire trip taking two and one half days. At one point we were delayed, get this, because the train wasn't able to make it up a grade, the rails were too slippery! They had to throw some sand unto the rails, for traction, so we could make it up! We thought that was priceless!
We arrived in Flagstaff at about ten P.M. with nowhere to stay! Now, we had our trusty "Let's Go U.S.A." with us, and it recommended a place called Motel Dubeau which was right next door to the train station and was very affordable. What a delight that place was! It was a very old motel, which had definitely known better days. But no matter. We had our
ChicagoChicagoChicago

One part of the 28 mile long drainage canal that was built to reverse the flow of the Chicago River.
room, with a bathroom and shower, which we shared with an army of tiny ants. But hey, we didn't bother them and they didn't bother us! In the main building, there was a common room where breakfast was available, (included in the price) everyone made their own. You then could throw together a few sandwiches and some fruit (peanut butter and jam, apples, oranges, bananas) and you had a free lunch. Then each evening, one of the guests took it upon themselves to prepare supper. They would post the menu, people would indicate their intention to partake, and for a few dollars you could have an interesting and usually delicious meal. Even in the sixties,I had never experienced living in a commune, but this was basically what this was, and it was fun!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

View from the trainView from the train
View from the train

Our first view of the unique southwest terrain.
FlagstaffFlagstaff
Flagstaff

Motel Dubeau, our home for the next three weeks.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb