the Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: April 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our First ViewOur First ViewOur First View

It boggles the mind!
The first time we visited the canyon was with a group. At the Motel Dubeau where we were staying, they had an organized daily tour which we joined on our first day. . The distance from Flagstaff to the south rim is about 80 miles driving through Cococino national forest.The bus driver/guide was excellent. He cheerfully shared all the pertinent information with us and then left us to enjoy the magnificent scenery on our own. At the end of the day, he drove us back via a different route through Navajo land with a partial view of the Painted Desert.
I am not even going to try to describe what we saw. Better writers than I have done so, but unless you actually see it for yourself you cannot imagine such grandeur. Even photos do not do it justice. The view of the canyon changes with the position of the sun and clouds and of course with one's own viewpoint. You can be standing perfectly still enjoying a particular scene, then a cloud drifts across the sun and everything changes!! It's awesome!
Of course, we had to go back. The following day, we rented a car and drove up on our
This is as Far as I go!This is as Far as I go!This is as Far as I go!

Being afraid of hights didn't dampen my enthusiasm but my knees were shaking!
own. It was then that we discovered the Anasazi or Desert Watchtower. Located towards the eastern part of the south rim it was built in 1837. It sits right on the edge of the canyon and provides a fantastic view of the Colorado River far below. It is reminiscent of an Anasazi kiva, the inside is covered with murals and paintings depicting native lifestyles. The circular balconies make it possible to get a closeup look at the artwork. We were thrilled with our discovery of such a special building.
For the remainder of our trip we visited other breathtaking sites in the area which were also well worth seeing. I will tell you about these in my next entries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

A Different Viewpoint.A Different Viewpoint.
A Different Viewpoint.

So many views, so little time!
Juniper Tree?Juniper Tree?
Juniper Tree?

I love those dead trees, I think it's juniper, but I'm not sure.
The Anasazi TowerThe Anasazi Tower
The Anasazi Tower

Looking out at the canyon from the tower.
Look at Me!!Look at Me!!
Look at Me!!

This goat is not a chicken!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb