Anchorage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 2nd 2012
Published: July 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well not an overly exciting day today. We decided just to lay low as we have a long day tomorrow on the bikes. Also the weather was cool with low cloud cover, socked in. I'm sure on clear days it's quite beautiful being right by the water with mountains all around. Could not get much of a view though here today. We just did a bit of cruising around town again free from helmets. It's nice but also feels wrong, and yes I know dangerous.

Hit the Anchorage Harley shop and Alaskan leathers. Looked around for somewhere interesting to have lunch, and found ourselves back across the street from the Harley shop at a place called Gwenies ( think that's right?)Anyways, it was very good. We dropped back by our pad and changed into our runners to go over to the huge park a few blocks away from our suite. A beautiful Park with many trails and frisbee golf. As we headed out on a trail, a fellow who works in the park stopped us to tell us in the area that we were headed there was spottings of an aggressive moose, and also an aggressive black bear with her 2 cubs. I was super gun ho to see them. Bruce not so much! We carried on down the trail though.

We are pretty sure that we heard the 2 bear cubs off in the distance cause there was a lot of squawking noises that were coming from some kind of wild animals. Could not see them, however we did come across the moose in the bush munching on foliage. It was a good walk with views of the water and if clearer the mountain range. Mosquitos were brutal though!

Tomorrow we have around 440 miles to ride as well as the border crossing again back into the Yukon. I planned it to stay back at beaver creek at buckshot Bettie's about 20 miles past the customs office. This means no wifi for me again. This route is our only option for getting down to Haines Alaska where we will catch our ferry on Thursday. The weather tomorrow does not sound to be in our favor, but I am hoping any rain will be light and periodic! We shall see...............

I was also pleasantly surprised too see that I could read previous comments from you guys now for some reason. Thanks for your comments, it's nice to hear from you and know you are interested too in my awesome adventure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



3rd July 2012

Your listening skills !
When the Ranger comes and says "fyi - there are aggressive animals" thats code for "stay away" That's what makes you, you!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb