The Dalton Highway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 15th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We set out on Weds. morning for the Dalton highway and Deadhorse/Purdhoe Bay. The highway is 415 miles of mostly dirt. If there was pavement, the dirt road was in better shape. It rained almost the entire way up, which made the roads really trecherous. We stopped the first night to camp at the Arctic Circle. But, just as we set-up camp a worker came along to trim the brush. This brought out so many mosquitos, we had to move. We camped by Prospect Creek (which has the record for the lowest temp. in Alaska). During the night, it rained and the camper started to leak again. You can see where this story is going... The next day, we had a blow-out 25 miles north of Coldfoot( The only gas station on the highway) several people stopped and helped us change the tire. BBack on the road... We got almost into Deadhorse , when we came upon a couple that had flipped thier vehicle. We loaded them into the back of the camper and got them to help. Finally Deadhorse! You can see from the parking lot photo, not exactly deluxe accomodations. We took the tour the following day and stuck our toes in the Arctic Ocean. ON the way out of town, a caribou ran right in front of us!
We made good time coming back down the Dalton highway and decided to head to Manley Hot Springs(another 70 mile dirt road). Low and behold our second flat tire! We decided to limp back into Fairbanks...


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

viewsviews
views

Dalton


Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb