Sunday 25th May 2008


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday May 25th 2008

Up at 5.30am as ship docking at Ketchikan at 7am. Was 7.30am before we got off the ship, had to be back onboard at 9.45am. Did a tour with Ketchikan Independant Tours ($25 each) with a couple of really laid back Alaskans who were just a lot of fun and the driver talked all the way he was funny and gave us heaps of facts and stories. Drove around the town, stopped at his wifes shop for free coffee. Then went to Totem Bight State Park to see the totem poles and lodges. Saw our first eagle! The driver spoke of the 'great wall of Ketchikan' 'native stories and heritage' 'permanent fund' 'airport' and heaps of other stuff.
Made it back to the boat on time and had nibbles in our cabin as it felt like lunch time!

Departed for Wrangell at 10.00am really looking forward to the narrow waterways and 27 turns we had to make. But.... at 1.00pm Mike and I had got a great view in the forward observation lounge when the boat STOPPED! - another adventure begun.

There was a fire in a generator and we had lost all power. The Captain spoke and said we were safe but drifting, emergency crew are assembled on the car deck and the Capt kept us well informed, so I went to the cabin and got all the important stuff, just in case. They got emergency power and we had to turn around and head back to Ketchikan - no Wrangell Straights for us!
All onboard were isssued a $12.50 meal chit. Most people had to change their travel plans, as the boat is going nowhere. We got off and lined up to try and fly to Juneau. We were so long at the window (there were three windows and the queue went all the way out the door) that when we got it all sorted the entire line clapped. (took an hour! - so funny).
We booked on the evening flight to Juneau for the following night (the earliest we could go) which means we wont have the day there as we planned as dont get in til 10pm. So we will get up early and try to go standby on the morning flight. Not really hopeful, but will try.
Everyone is sad and dissapointed for many reasons as we were all having such a good time. Although we were called 'Ma-hike' and 'Ra-hos'.
Off to bed, we will be up at 5.30am (again!). Mike spoke to John earlier, the phone does work.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb