Moraine Lake to Yoho National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 29th 2007
Published: June 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Moraine LakeMoraine LakeMoraine Lake

Another beautiful lake. The cloudy day doesn't do it justice
Friday June 29, 2007
We checked out of the campground by 7:15 am on a cool (53 degrees) cloudy morning. and headed to Moraine Lake which is not far from Lake Louise. When we get to a parking lot early there’s no problem finding a spot for CT. There are A LOT of RV’s in Banff (mostly rented). Moraine Lake is really beautiful. The sun peaked out from the clouds for just a few minutes so the color came out. The mountains framing the deep aqua lake make the scene outstanding.
The geology of the lake is interesting since a large rock pile at one end of the lake reveals the history of the area. Conveniently placed markers explain the geological events that took place. Much of the area was under an ocean at one time. Frank loves this stuff.
Our next stop was Yoho National Park, which is just west of Lake Louise. It’s a small park, but has several interesting sights. Takakkaw Falls, one of the tallest waterfalls in Canada is one of the attractions. The road that takes you to the falls has the sharpest hairpin curves we have seen on the trip. There is a length
Takakkaw FallsTakakkaw FallsTakakkaw Falls

Again it's difficult to capture the magnitude of the falls in a photo. The man in the picture gives perspective.
restriction of 22 Ft, but even CT couldn’t make it around the corner without backing up.
The falls were impressive, but photos really don’t provide the impact. At this time of year, tons of glacier melt falls down the rock face. You can feel the spray 100 feet away and it’s cold and windy. By autumn the waterfall is down to a substantial trickle.
We spent some time trying to identify mountains so Frank could see the places where actual “big” geological events took place (after several false ID’s, I came through and found them!) Then we visited Emerald Lake, which is the largest lake in Yoho. After Lake Louise and Moraine Lake, other lakes don’t quite measure up. It was nice, but not outstanding.
This evening it’s raining and there’s occasional thunder. Not sure what the weather is for tomorrow. We do tend to feel out of it - - - haven’t heard the news in over 2 weeks and rarely know the weather. We have been blessed though - - a safe journey thus far, good health and fine weather. It’s been good!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb