From Devil's Tower, WY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 20th 2007
Published: June 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday June 20, 2007
This morning was bright and brisk, sweater weather. We slept with the windows open! I found a good place to take photos of the Devil’s Tower next to the campground. Devil’s Tower is a volcanic formation out in the middle of the prairie. Frank is into geology so he was excited to see it.
We were back on the highway by 8:30. We stopped at the Walmart in Gillette, WY so I could buy groceries. The Wyoming landscape in this Northwest section of the state is broad rolling hills with some grass, but they’re mostly covered with small brush. You see snow fences and occasional herds of cattle. The driving is great - - very little traffic and good roads. The gas is expensive -- - in SD, WY and MT it averages $3.24 a gallon, the most expensive on the trip. The speed limit is 75 mph, so they’re using a lot of gas! We do our part for the environment and our pocketbook by keeping our speed down to 65 on these roads! (right).
In the afternoon CT trucked on into Montana. The Little Bighorn National Monument; the place where Custer made his last
Little Big Horn Nat'l MonumentLittle Big Horn Nat'l MonumentLittle Big Horn Nat'l Monument

Looking down the hill where Custer made his last stand. The tombstones indicate where soldiers died
stand is located right off the interstate. We spent about 2 hours soaking up the history. The Park Ranger did a great job presenting the story of the battle. It was interesting to see the place we’ve heard so much about. When the soldiers ran into trouble there was certainly no place to hide, just open rolling hills for miles and miles.
We are trying to reach Great Falls, Montana before we stop tonight. That will put us less than 200 miles from Glacier National Park where we want to spend a few days. I’m catching up on the blog entries in the back of CT while Frank drives. We hope to find an internet connection tomorrow. We’re watching thunderstorms on the horizon as we travel north toward the mountains. The sky turned yellow and gray and there was a rainbow.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb