June 19, 2007


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 19th 2007
Published: June 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Started driving the “wildlife loop’” at Custer State Park around 6:30 AM, but the wildlife must have moved through earlier. We only saw some prong horn deer and a turkey. But, Frank saw a lot of birds. I’m the designated driver when he birds--- go slow -stop-go slow - stop (you get the idea).
We went to Wind Cave National Park which had lots of roaming buffalo. Decided against touring the cave. Ended up at the Monmouths excavation site, where 54 prehistoric manmouth skeletons were found. Frank toured the site and I took a nap with the dogs!
Headed back to the interstate via Spearfish Canyon, another scenic road in the Black Hills. We were going to spend the night at the Walmart in Spearfish; but found it had closed down (caught Ginny by surprise). So we hit the road; said good-by to South Dakota and hello to Wyoming.
We discovered that Devil’s tower National Monument was only 30 miles out of the way so we took the detour. We spent the night in the park’s campground, which was pretty and very peaceful. So ended day 6 on the road.
The Cozy Turtle traveled 224 miles today.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Wind Cave NP, SDWind Cave NP, SD
Wind Cave NP, SD

Buffalo Herd


27th June 2007

blond mammoth?
Mike just read in Discover magazine that now scientists think some wooly mammoths had blond-colored fur. Did you hear anything about that?

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb