Skagway - Cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
September 3rd 2012
Published: September 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 4- Monday - Sept 3, 2012 Skagway



We docked in Skagway today on day 4. We took the White Pass & Yukon Railroad train ride to the Canadian border. It was a fun trip riding the old train up to the Canadian border and back again. After we got dropped off in Skagway, near the ship, we headed to the town. It's a quaint little historic town. We had lunch at the Bonanza Restaurant and I had a fantastic chocolate martini. It was so good I had to ask the bartender for the recipe. Also found a cute little quilt shop where I bought a pattern for a puffin quilt to make, in the future. The ship docked not too far from town. It's an easy walk or you can board a shuttle bus for 2.00. In Skagway there are mostly tourist shops selling "Alaska" touristy items. Of course there are the regular jewelry shops like Diamonds International, etc., and other shops too.



After getting back to the ship I went to the pool and hot tub in the solarium. I had it all to myself because most people were still in town. The pool in the solarium has a retractable cover which was opened when I was in the pool. It's a very comfortable place in this section because it's out of the cold. It's almost too hot sometimes in there. The ship also had the dry and steam rooms available at no charge. It's actually a good place to shower after going in the sauna because the showers are so nice there. The showers in the cabin were the smallest I had ever seen on a cruise ship. Granted, we were in an ocean-view cabin on deck 4 and they might not all be that small. I did check out my friend’s cabin on deck 7 balcony cabin and their bathroom was the same size as ours.



Tonight after dinner the show was in the Centrum. It was called the Baroque Flying Show Spectacular. If you want to see this show one must get a seat very early. It's really not a good set up if you are on the 4th floor because you can't really see anything if you don't have a place to sit in the inner section. And even if you do have a seat you have to look straight up to see the aerialists. I guess the show would have been better if seen on one of the other floors. We didn't enjoy the show because it was so congested in that area. They hold so many events in the Centrum and I don't know why since the seating is not adequate for the crowds it attracts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb