Ketchikan-Land, Sea and Air adventures


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
July 16th 2016
Published: July 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

I can't believe the self guided portion of our trip is about over. We've had a fabulous 10 days with 3 nights in Juneau, 3 nights in Sitka, 3 nights in Ketchikan and one night on the Alaska State Ferry. We thought we might be ready for a guided trip figuring we would encounter some hassles along the way doing it ourselves, but it has been perfect and we have said many times how happy we are that circumstances pushed us to do the Inside Passage on our own. Today we fly to Anchorage (via Seattle) and tomorrow begin our Multi-sport adventure with World Outdoors. We are looking forward to meeting our group but feel fortunate to have had so many opportunities in the past 10 days to talk with Alaskans as well as many other independent travelers on the ferries, in restaurants and on our excursions.



It's been a wonderful 3 days in Ketchikan--so many fun things to do and so little time! We hiked on the Rainbird trail after deciding that the planned hike on the Deer Mountain trail was a bit more than we wanted to attempt. It was along this trail that we met the retired principal of the Ketchikan high school out on the trail with his grandchildren. He said he came to Ketchikan to teach for one year in 1979 and never left. This is a story we heard repeated many times...it seems that people get drawn into the Alaskan beauty and lifestyle and never leave.

Yesterday we kayaked in the morning and took a flightseeing trip over Misty Fjords in the afternoon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb