The Turning Point


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
December 21st 2010
Published: December 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

By Melisse.
Today is the winter solstice for those of us who live in the northern hemisphere. The actual solstice is the moment when the earth's axis shifts so that the days start growing longer and the nights start growing shorter. On this day the sun is at its turning point from being at its lowest in the sky to embarking on its gradual assent. Quite frankly, never before have I paid all that much attention to the solstice. But here in Alaska, because at their shortest, the winter days offer only about 6 ½ hours of light, the anticipation of this day is palpable. Here there is a huge difference in day length between the winter and the summer months. I, and others, feel the solstice coming, like an uncontrollable force in our midst. We feel it, live it, think about it, talk about it, embrace it and celebrate it. Today there will be a myriad of solstice celebrations around Homer. I look forward to our first Solstice celebration this evening at a strawbale home with a labyrinth to walk in meditation of this shift. I had wondered how I would do with the short days here. Caring friends had concern about how I'd fair in the dark and cold. I am happy to report that it has not been a problem at all. I've enjoyed the drama of the shortening days and the late sunrises, like some daily permission to stay snuggled in bed later than usual and not feel too terrible about getting a late start on the day. The ever-present snow provides brightness, beauty and something to play in. The low sun has created the most spectacular sunrises we have enjoyed viewing from our cabin. The sunsets are also spectacular, and are better seen from a vantage point just a short walk down our road. It is invigorating to live in a place where most everyone is tuned into and appreciates the rhythms and gifts of nature. For all of us humans, to our fellow travelers, the animals and plants, the solstice is a fundamental shift and turning point in our physical, mental and spiritual reality. Enjoy the change.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



21st December 2010

Thank you for the view!
The anticipation of this powerful day is embellished by your beautiful pictures and words. Thanks for sharing! What a view!
21st December 2010

Happy Solstice!!
Gorgeous photos! Thanks so much for sharing.....
21st December 2010

Awe inspiring to be enveloped in Nature's majesty.
21st December 2010

Blessings
Here's to the days getting longer...fuller and richer, more loving and joyfull! Loving the visions you create in your words and views. Makes me want to take a wild adventure up there to visit! Don't worry, tho'...xoxo
23rd December 2010

Blessings
come head on. And bring Victoria with you. There's a need for some African dancing and drumming up here. Truly.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb