Alaskan Cruise - Day 6


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Glacier Bay
August 30th 2009
Published: August 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we spent the day at sea. We cruised through Glacier Bay and picked up a couple of Park Rangers without even slowing down. Andy watched the whole thing & said that the Ranger's boat pulled up along side as a hatch opened at sea level to allow them to board our ship. Several hours later, they left the ship the same way. The Rangers spent the day talking about what we were seeing. Kay & I went to a presentation by one of them about water & how the glaciers were/are formed, etc. It was incredibly interesting as I was very tired but stayed awake during the whole thing. As you can see from the pictures, we were wet & cold.

Last night at dinner, the guys surprised us with an anniversary cake including a round of Happy Anniversary to you. Our wait staff, Ernesto & Marisca, were joined by fellow waiters in the singing. It sounded much like the singing at the table in "A Christmas Story" as all the wait staff come from around the world & don't necessarily speak exceptional English.

The day would not be complete without a trip to the casino. Believe it or not, I am actually ahead of the house at this time (Not by much, but ahead is ahead!). But I am reminded of a saying that was used by that giant of a man in my life, Coach Vernon McManus. We didn't win many football games at MacArthur HS in the late 60's & McManus hated losing (our workouts reflected his disdain for losing). But what he told the students at pep rallies is that we did not lose, we just ran out of time. Theoretically, if we could just continue the game for a few more hours, we could turn it into a victory. So in that spirit, if I could just continue to play at the craps table for a few hundred years, I can still own our cruise ship!

More tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Kay enjoying the view on deckKay enjoying the view on deck
Kay enjoying the view on deck

Butch preferred to watch the live television feed in the warm, dry stateroom
at dinnerat dinner
at dinner

Andrew Nichols, Trey, Andrew, Butch, Kay, Joe


30th August 2009

Awesome!
Spectacular views! Once again, I'm envious! Sounds like y'all are having a great time. Keep the blog going! I read it daily.
2nd September 2009

Looks like fun!
Hi guys. Looks like you are having a great time. The pictures are beautiful. We miss you walking with us. We're gearing up for the 5 miler on Labor Day and then a 10 miler on September 20th. Yikes. You better get ready. Keep having fun and see you soon. Sheila

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb