Alaskan Cruise - Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
August 29th 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we went to Skagway. We rode the train from Skagway to White Pass Summit. A 3 hour tour (sounds like Gilligan's Island) on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway. The WPYR is a narrow gauge railroad (36" c to c rails) that has both steam & diesel/electric locomotives. A diesel/electric has a diesel engine that powers an electric generator that supplies power to an electric generator to run an electric motor that powers the train (You probably didn't want to know that much about it.) The views along the way were spectacular & we had a great time.

When we returned to Skagway, we got dropped off in town (instead of at the ship) & paid a visit to the Red Onion Saloon. It just so happens that Joe knows someone that works at the Red Onion, Staci Spillers, & was she surprised to see him. We enjoyed a local brew before heading on our way.

The day would not be complete without a little shopping. I bought a WPYR shirt & Kay bought a rug & some pillow shams. (Do you know how to stop an elephant from charging? Take away her credit card!) I just received a slap upside the head so I better stop for now. More tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Red Onion SaloonThe Red Onion Saloon
The Red Onion Saloon

Kay, Butch, Andy, Trey, Joe, Staci


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb