Been there done that...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
August 29th 2011
Published: August 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi to all,

We were out of communications on this part of the journey so I will try to get you up to date with our travels.

We returned today from our expedition. What an experience! We drove 250 miles north to Coldfoot, after stopping at a locals home for an interesting shopping experience. We have photos, not sure how to send them, still working on that.

There were 5couples in a van with our guide Patrick who fit right in with our group.

You just cannot believe some of the places that we stayed overnight in. In Colfoot it was like a storage unit with a tiny bathroom in the room, twin beds and a window, that was it. good eats though.

We then went to Weismen, I will tell you it is the highlight of our trip so far. It is a tiny village of about 20 huts, and I don't mean houses. We have pictures to follow, if we can figure it out. This village has been there for many many years. Our guide Jack, who has lived there since he was a small child, took us around the village. I am talking bare necessities, and still hunt for their food with root cellars and all. It was great. Trisha and I want to try it for a lifestyle change, but John and Neil won't hunt or gut the animals. All outhouses, and heat by wood stove.

Then wee went on the Dalton Highway, you know, the Ice Truckers road to the Arctic Circle! Well we went another 250 miles on som rugged road, at like 45 miles per hour, with a few stops. we left Weismen about 11:00 and got to Prudhoe Bay (aka Deadhorse), also the Arctic Ocean at 7:30 PM. did I mention 10 people in a van and our driver!!! Fun time had by all. It was really okay, just way to long! We also had stopped for a photo op, at the Arctic Circle crossing.

Our rooms... And I am not exagerating, we have pictures, was an orange cargo container type crate that would go on the back of an 18wheeler. 3 rooms to a container, with the 1 door, that was a walk in freezer door. No bathroom. You had to cross the gravel, mud yard to go to the bathroom and go upstairs to the 1toilet,1shower, and 2 sink bathroom, for everyone to use. Now that is awesome at 3:00in the morning, in your nightgown, at 36 degrees! Yep it sure was!

Today we went to the Arctic Ocean, and put our hands in it. Just because we were there.
Then we took our flight home in an 8 person Navaho Cheif Piper plane. I have to say, I was nervous, but it was awesome, and the smoothest ride I have ever been on. It was so clear we could see Mt McKinley (Denali), and it was 200 miles away... Breathtaking I tell you

Oh did I forget to mention that on the second leg of our 500 miles to the Arctic Ocean, we got a flat tire on the Dalton Highway, yeah.. well you just can't make up stories like that. Everyone unpacked the van from on the luggage, got the spare, changed the spare, and repacked the van in under 10 minutes. John and Neil helped Patrick with that chore, everybody else, helped with the loading and unloading. What a team!!! The truckers.... They just drove by us.... Nice!!!

We went out to eT at the Pump stAtion. It is owned by the pilot that flew us in today. He bout us a round of drinks.

That's about it for today. Hopefully we figure out the picture part. I am not rereading or doing spell check so just go with sounds like!!!

We are doing a tour of Fairbanks tomorrow, and going to the Northpole Alaska to see Santa.

TTYL,
The Robermonts, and yes we are still getting along.

Advertisement



30th August 2011

Quite an adventure! Can't wait to see pictures!
31st August 2011

What an adventure!
Hunting for food? Root cellars? Outhouses? Sleeping in a cargo container? Holy cow! I wouldn't last 30 seconds there. Sounds like you guys are loving every minute of it. So glad to hear! The kids hope you put in a good word for them with Santa! Safe travels. Love Becca

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb