Six days and counting!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
August 31st 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well, we're still here and doing great. Cathy says its my turn to do the blog. But I tyoed about 4 paragraphs last night and then this blog sight went down for maintenance and I lost everything I typed. So now I have 2 days to report. So, here goes:
Tuesday took a city tour of Fairbanks , could have been done in about 1/2 hour, but it took us 3. Our guide was a transplant from Houston, Texas. Came here in1976 with his wife on vacation and never left. That seems to happen a lot. I think Cathy and Neil might do that.
In the afternoon we took our rental car and drove to the North Pole to visit with Santa. He really does know who's naughty and nice and guess what that meant for us!
There is a wonderful park here called Pioneer park, recently renamed from Alaskaland. It's an old village with buildings from the turn of the century relocated to this park. There is a narrow gage railroad and old paddle wheel boat and an old train car. They said this President Harding road in it when he came to Alaska to drive the golden spike in the railroad, then he went to California and died, rumr was he was poisoned by his wifebecause of his "lady" friends. The most amazing thing about this park is that it was free, imagine that in Massachusetts.
Today we actually went on a paddle wheel boat down or up not sure which the river. Actually I guess it's both. Then this afternoon we went mining for gold. The robersons did beat the D'Engremonts 42 to 18, that's dollars. Sad to say, the credit cards will not get paid off!! But we all did come home with a few flakes not enough to pay for dinner.
The meals are very expensive, actually everything is very expensive.
We thought we'd check on the price of houses, Cathy and I came up with this great idea that we could buy a house together, each having our own side, and share the kitchen. Then we cold spend summers here and winters in Maine. We thought we might get a few of you up here to visit. Neil sounds like he might buy the idea, John's not quite sure yet. We have to work on him. It is very beautiful up here there's no question about that.
Tonight driving home from dinner, john decided to drive up close and personal with the pipeline, we were immediately stopped by a lady who came out of nowhere. She said she was concerned because someone had been parked in front of her house in a car like ours and thought it was us. But she had some kind of officlal I'd hanging around her neck, we were never parked anywhere but at the restaurant. We think she was security for the pipeline. They take that very seriously up here. One day some guy got drunked and de cided to shoot a hole in the pipeline. Guess what happens when you put a hole in a line that's under pressure, right, major oil spill. Needless to say e veryone knew who it was and he's in jail for a very long time. Goes to show there's stupid people everywhere.
Well, my laundry is done and it's 10 pm. I know this isn't as good as Cathy but .............
We are still trying to figure out how to get thepictureson here, we may have to wait u til we're actually at a computer, sorry about that.
Hope everyone is well, we love getting the comments back, keep em coming.
Love to all,
The robermonts, John, Trish, Cathy, Neil


Advertisement



1st September 2011

Love reading about your trip
Sounds like y'all are really busy and having a great time! Love to hear more about the food. Are you trying out anything new and different?

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb