Looking Back at Alabama


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama » Talladega
December 2nd 2010
Published: December 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Where's Waldo?Where's Waldo?Where's Waldo?

These little gray squirrels were all over the rv park at Shocco Springs. They darted around so fast that it was hard to get a clear picture~~the camera couldn't get focused on them before they were gone! They would stick their silly little heads under the leaves and come up with a tiny little something to nibble on. We spent several mornings watching them!
(Shocco Springs)

How can it be December 2nd??? Boy the days go by fast. This has been such a wonderful project, and today it ended. There was a SOWER team at Shocco when we arrived, and before they left, a week later, we prayed for them. A second SOWER team came a week before we left, and before we pulled out today, they circled up and prayed for us! It’s times like that that remind us what it’s really about.

Shocco has a four year project remodeling rooms and offices. The men have been working in the motel rooms. We ran out of laundry to fold, so we spent one day painting bathrooms in four of the rooms. It was fun to see what they’re doing, and be part of it. For one day. Then we were all glad to go back to the laundry! This past week we worked in the office putting together a massive mailing. We liked being moved from one area to another, but every time we got our new assignments, we wished we didn’t have to move! No wait, we had no problem leaving the cleaning in the dining room!

A wonderful thing
Bagley HallBagley HallBagley Hall

This building houses the dining room, book store, meeting rooms and hotel rooms. And it represents the beauty of the buildings on campus.
occurred this week~~we spent an afternoon with Mary, the director’s wife, who showed us around Talladega, complete with history on the different areas. We went to Talladega College, a private, Liberal Arts College. It holds the distinction as Alabama's oldest historically black college. It is home to the Amistad Murals, which depict a turning point in history which may have been the beginning of the abolitionist movement in the US. The murals are indescribably beautiful, and as much as I’d love to post photos of them, I think it would be better if you went to Talladega.edu/academics/Amistad.asp and look at them for yourself. The murals (with a worth of around $40 million) are going on tour for the next two years; they’ll be at colleges throughout the nation.

Two days later we spent the afternoon at AIDB (Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind) Awakenings House. It’s in a beautiful house, and provides a family type atmosphere for children from three years to twenty-one years with profound vision, hearing, cognitive and/or physical limitations. Right now there are seven students who spend their week days there, and go home on weekends. The staff to student ratio is 1:2, and their
Cheaha State ParkCheaha State ParkCheaha State Park

I can't remember if you've seen this, but I couldn't move it to the save folder until I gave you a second chance! Doesn't it look like a painting?
learning and therapy is intensive. I don’t even know how to tell you what a wonderful place it is. We were able to interact with the kids and watch them in learning settings; really every setting is working on more than one sensory activity at a time. As hard as it is to see kids that have to struggle so hard, they are just like any kid in that they like to be touched, or if they have some sight or hearing, they enjoy music and playing. The staff was tremendous in their devotion to the kids. Many of them have been there more than twenty years~~which is one thing, but when you’re talking about a job that has NO idle time, it’s amazing. I very much enjoyed my time there, and would love to be in a position to be able to work more with them.

Both of those events touched me deeply. They’re things we wouldn’t have seen if we’d been vacationing a few days in the area. They’re just some of the many blessings we’ve received since joining RVICS.

Well this entry has gotten long! We’re headed to Smithville, Texas (headquarters), but on the way
A program for children under 21A program for children under 21A program for children under 21

who are deaf, blind, mentally limited or all of those. Some of them are able to progress into the Helen Keller school (for the deaf and/or blind) but most stay there until they're 21.
we’re going to spend some time in New Orleans. I’ve never been there, but Bob was, before Katrina hit. We’ll head to Montana and Minnesota to hug around on our kids and grandkids before Christmas. What a Blessed life we live.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

This computer is set up to be run byThis computer is set up to be run by
This computer is set up to be run by

hitting the large pegs, and also by color. It will instruct a certain color be pressed to get a certain response. We didn't see anyone operate it, but I thought it was clever!
The Caterpiller DanceThe Caterpiller Dance
The Caterpiller Dance

The girl on the left was sitting listening to the sign language program, but when they clicked on this one, she sat up and started smiling and "dancing"! The boy in the front row was clapping and yelling "yay"! (the other boy in front is deaf and blind, and he was just hanging out....I think he was absorbing the vibes!)
I wasn't allowed in this swing!I wasn't allowed in this swing!
I wasn't allowed in this swing!

When a student is extremely agitated this sometimes helps. It gives them a snug cocoon feeling, plus the movement. This girl (the only one in the program who is mobile!) signed that she wanted to swing.
One of the historical homes in One of the historical homes in
One of the historical homes in

Talladega...I hope you can see that parked in the carport is a modern car & a model T! (or model something...something from that era.) This house had the huge wrap-around deck, and large bay windows. My dream home!
This was in the room that we usedThis was in the room that we used
This was in the room that we used

for our Thanksgiving dinner. There was a small room we didn't have a key for, and the guys had to take the door off...it's a long story! But now they can add "breaking and entering" to their skill sheets!
They say this is a grasshopper....They say this is a grasshopper....
They say this is a grasshopper....

apparently it's an Alabama type, because ours aren't green.


6th December 2010
They say this is a grasshopper....

Hi- We called those Catydids in Michigan. I would call those in the same famly but a distant cousin of our grasshoppers. Have a great Christmas you two. Chris
7th December 2010

Hi, Chris!
Yes, that's the name I've heard from them. I'm sure we saw them in Ohio, but I couldn't remember the name. Yes, they look like they'd be in the grasshopper family, but not a regular family member! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb