Last word from Alabama


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama » Talladega
December 4th 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy Thanksgiving!Happy Thanksgiving!Happy Thanksgiving!

This was taken while we were waiting for everyone to arrive for dinner. Some of the women were inside cooking, but I checked and they didn't need my help!
(Shocco Springs Baptist Conference Center)

Bob and I have so much to be thankful for, and this lifestyle right up there on our list. We are so privileged to be able to travel and meet people and be serving the Lord at the same time, and we’re always aware of that privilege.

I think I mentioned that we’re meeting with the MMAPpers (Mobile Mission Assistance Program). Two of the couples got here in early November because of some special circumstances, so they’ve been working on tasks separate from ours, but have been doing morning devotions and Bible study and our social events with us. It’s hard for us to leave fellow RVICS after we’ve been together for a month, but leaving theses MMAP couples is going to be even tougher, because we can’t pretend like we may work with them again.

We all stayed here for Thanksgiving, and we did a huge turkey and ham dinner together. The social committee decorated the lodge we used for the day. Someone decided to have a talent show that afternoon~~you can believe it wasn’t my idea! We all grumbled and whined about it (even though it was voluntary!) and yet it
Our lesson on hickory nuts:Our lesson on hickory nuts:Our lesson on hickory nuts:

I hope you can see how black the pod is before it dries and cracks open.
turned out to be fun/entertaining/noteworthy! We had a trombone, singing, readings, and a skit….we are a very talented bunch! One of the outstanding things about this Thanksgiving day is that it’s the second one we’ve been away from our family, and the second one we’ve celebrated with Earl and Nancy! They served at Victory Ranch with us last November, and then we’re back together again this November! That practically makes it a tradition! And Nancy made a delicious turkey~~for the second year in a row.

The camp is having a huge 60th anniversary celebration the weekend of December 12th, and it reminds me of putting on a wedding~~over and over we hear the words “We need it by the 12th.” The MMAP men are painting all the rooms inside one of the hotels. It has to be finished by the 12th, when the past officers will stay in there. Some of our women have been putting up Christmas decorations in the chapel (“…by the 12th”!) and the grounds crew has lights in the trees and shrubs and on the fences….practically on anything that doesn’t move! We’ll be returning here to pick up the bus on the 14th, and I’m
The outer shell has opened, The outer shell has opened, The outer shell has opened,

but the nut is still attached. When the nut falls from the tree the shell is brown, but after it's been on the ground a while it turns black...by "a while" I mean a couple/few weeks.
excited to see how it all looks then! That’s why there are so many workers right now…to get everything ready by the 12th.

The first week we were here the Carpenters for Christ men were here to put begin building chapel in the wilderness camp. They had sixty men, and predicted it would take five days...in fact, it only took two days! The next week a different group came in to put up the trusses and roof it; two days. The Campers on Mission are coming in to build the inside, and they will be here until Christmas. Many of them are singles, and in smaller campers, but there are also big rvs. Over the weekend seven MMAP couples moved in, to begin their project on Monday. Then on Thursday, which will be our last day, 18 more rigs to move in. That will make this RV park very packed! (And many of the Campers on Mission couples are staying in the hotel here on campus.) The good news is that the chapel isn't projected to be finished until July...not the 12th!
Today we pulled out moved our bus to another part of the camp so they can use
This one kind of shows the stages.This one kind of shows the stages.This one kind of shows the stages.

We were given a grocery sack full of hickory nuts, but I know they have to be cracked and then picked out of the shell, and I'm not sure what I would do with them after that, so I gave them away. I've heard if you bake them an hour or so they'll dry and crack on their own, but you still have to force them open and then pick the meat out. Too much work for nuts...if it was chocolate I'd be doing it right now, but nuts?????
our spot, and there was a bus ready to pull in (like idling ready!).

We are leaving tomorrow (5th) to fly to Mankato, MN for ten days...all of our grandkids but two will be there, and I think they need hugging! (Their parents will be there too!) When we return we'll pick up the bus and head toward Miami, where we'll be working until the end of February~~at a children's school. We're looking forward to that on several levels!







Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

This is where we have devotions,This is where we have devotions,
This is where we have devotions,

and I am standing at the back of our bus. The reason I include this again because this morning there were five rigs parked in the parking lot waiting for us to move! Some had camped there for two days. Not to mention that the rv park was 3/4 full.
Our temporary back yard:Our temporary back yard:
Our temporary back yard:

We're parked at one of the adventure camps, but we will have electrical while we're gone. This little oak is right beside the bus; notice how small the trunk is, and how huge the leaves are! There probably aren't 200 on the tree, but the tree sure gave them his best effort! Who says size matters!


5th December 2008

hickory nut lesson
I was struck with how much we are like hickory nuts! We are closed up tight in the world we create, full of sin, determined to be independent and make it on our own, wallowing on the ground .....until we give up our tight hold, turn to God, give him control over our wills, circumstances, pet sins........ and he cracks the outer shell, opens us up to his reality and exposes the useful and productive creation we are ment to be. .........it made sense to me. Have a wonderful Chrsitmas hugging and loving on your family. Thanks for sharing your life through these fun times in word and pictures. Love Chris
6th December 2008

Thank you for the complement. I thought those were pecans, and we are eating them. Whats up? :)
7th December 2008

Hi, Chris!
I miss you. That's a wonderful analogy....now I wish I'd thought of it that way and used it as a devotion. Have a blessed Christmas, Chris, and thank you for being so supportive. You have been a large part of my Chrisitan walk. Vicki
7th December 2008

Hi, Nancy!
Betty told me they were hickory nuts...and to tell the truth (except for you and Earl) I can't tell one nut from another! We'll see you in a few weeks.....Vicki

Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb