Miramar to Cuidad Obregon to Navajoa to Alomas


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
February 5th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Monday, February 5, is a holiday in Mexico, Constitution Day. Our first stop was Obregon’s bookstore to find a Mexican American Dictionary. No luck, just Spanish/Amer. The Centro shops were fascinating but it created sensory overload. They sell everything at stalls inside huge buildings, chickens are being chopped, next to hundreds of jeans on sale, then on to veggies, fruits, loud music, etc. etc.
Communication proved to be a problem….at a pizza shop, I thought I ordered two slices of pizza and 2 large cokes. We got two whole pizza and two small cokes. They took back one pizza, but we still had too much food. I need more lessons.
Navajoa is the turning point to get to Alamos. We arrived at Dolisa Motel/RV and start walking into the historic old town. Very old cobblestones with high sidewalks, change of pavement, huge holes and missing man-holes. We are waiting to break an ankle. If we get out of Mexico without a broken something it will be a wonder. Jose “Trini” from the Tourista oficina offers to be our guide (for a price). So we will see him tomorrow at 9:30 AM. Every town has a Centro Plaza with a church. The church here is Immaculate Conception, it has been rebuilt at this same location three times.
Tuesday, February 6, 2007. Our tour was to begin at 9:30, but this is Mexico! Mexican time is manana, sometime tomorrow. The history of this town centered around the silver mines, and the very wealthy and the very poor….much the same as today. Of course we are in the desert and everything is dry, hot, and dusty, but we go into one of the haciendas…and we enter a tropical paradise. The house is built around a center patio and a great deal of energy goes into maintaining the patio gardens, they are beautiful.
Alamos was a Chinese center for the production of silk. Today the economy is based on tourism. A taxi took us to the Mirador for a grand view of the old town.
A siesta, makes sense, because the mid-day is hot



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb