A long train ride to Creel


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » El Fuerte
February 7th 2007
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SORRY THERE ARE NOT MAPS NOT SURE WHY
Wednesday, February 7, 2007. Today’s drive involved leaving Sonora State and entering the state of Sanoloa. We expected some inspection to check our paper work—nothing. The guard just waved us through.
After settling in El Fuerte, we took off for a walk to the old town and visited the fort/museum.
This campground in El Fuerte is where we will leave the Bothan and travel by train to Creel and on to Batopilas, the bottom of the Copper Canyon.
“Bill” of El Fuerte, is one care-free/slick dude. He runs the hotel, as a hunters destination and is available as a guide. Then behind the hotel he has a RV park, where he collect full charges for folks traveling to Copper Canyon (People are not using any services yet he charges more than most RV parks?) then he tries
to sell his package at the canyon…dumb like a fox!
Thursday, February 8, 2007, we packed up out things for several days and awaited the taxi to the train station. There were eight of us traveling from “Bill’s” place, he guarantees we can purchase tickets on the train.
As we await the train, a large bus arrives with lots of tourists. We soon discover the first class train is full because of advanced ticket purchases for the tour bus. After an hour we board the tourist train, half price, with lots of local Mexican families, very friendly and no crowds.
The train ride is about six hours to Creel, the Copper Canyon. The views were magnificent, the sheer drop-offs scary, and the tunnels numerous. The altitude in Creel is over 7,600 feet so it was chilly when we arrived. Creel has several hotels. One that was recommended was the Parador de Montana, a bit pricey, but comfortable and included breakfast. As we registered, we met two couples from the US, also planning a trip to Batopilas, the bottom of the Canyon. Each hotel recommends someone else, it is a bit of a free-for-all. Bob and Wally investigated and we decided to travel together. We enjoyed diner and they all seemed like “good people”.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.597s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 38; qc: 196; dbt: 0.2368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb