Happy Easter from Chicken Pizza


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
March 24th 2008
Published: March 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chichen ItzaChichen ItzaChichen Itza

The Main Pyramid at Chichen Itza
Hola Amigos,

Well its not really called Chicken Pizza, but more of that later.

We have finally started our adventure. After 2 days of flying, we landed in Cancun, for what is the US equivalent of schooies week. Lucky for us we were not where all the party goers are, we are more in the backpackers area.

All we did on the first day was have a good sleep in, and then a meet and greet with our GAP leader and 8 travelling companions (2 Aussies, 3 British, 1 Dutch, 1 Canadian and 1 American).

Day 2 is when the travelling began, after 3 hours on the bus, we hit the first of the "big 3" ruin sites, Chichen Itza. It is pretty amazing what you can do with your bare hands. Most impressive was the main pyramid, which is huge and perfectly restored. There is also a giant court for a ball game the ancient mayans used to play, where the losing teams captain would have his head chopped off by the winning teams captain. Apparently winning was a good thing!

After Chichen Itza we headed on to Merida, where we spent the evening in
Mayan skullsMayan skullsMayan skulls

An engraving of skulls at Chichen Itza
a lovely restaurant, with live mexican music playing in the street, dancing, and many mexican cocktails.

Today was a day for browsing the shops and markets of Merida, and not much else!

Tomorrow we are off to Palenque, which is a leisurely 10 hour bus ride. Hopefully have an update at the next internet cafe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sombreros & Guns.Sombreros & Guns.
Sombreros & Guns.

Our travelling group before dinner.
Merida at nightMerida at night
Merida at night

Down one of the town streets.
Merida´s church.Merida´s church.
Merida´s church.

One of Mexico´s great churches, apparently this is the largest in Central America.
Hot Sauce!Hot Sauce!
Hot Sauce!

Son and I are the only ones who eat really hot in our group, and this sauce is the hottest of all..bringing some home!


28th March 2008

wish we were there
Hey guys, the trip looks awesome, wish we were there. Are the people friendly?
30th March 2008

Very Friendly
People are very friendly, especially the Guatemalans.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb