The Jungle Ruins


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Palenque
March 27th 2008
Published: March 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hot Chillies anyone?Hot Chillies anyone?Hot Chillies anyone?

Everytime the bus looked like stopping, stall owners came out of nowhere to sell their wares.
After a rather uneventful 10 hour bus trip from Merida (well the only thing of interest was the militray checkpoint where little Mexicans with big guns did a random search of our luggage, including SoniĀ“s), we finally reached Palenque.

The next day we went to the Mayan ruins of Palenque, which are even more impressive that those at Chichen Itza. These ruins are in more of a jungle setting, the humidity is high, and the bug count is even higher!

Unlike Itza, were were able to climb some of the pyramids, and in one or two of them, go inside and view the tombs (still in remarkable condition).

The roads so far have been flat, with not a hill in sight, from today that all changed.
4 hous in a mini-bus on a road that was one of the windiest that I have ever seen. Fortunatley there were a couple of worthy stops, including 2 waterfalls, one of which we all went for a swim in.

4 hours later (and many sick passengers) we finally reached our destination - San Christobal.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

PalenquePalenque
Palenque

Standing at the top of one the ruins.
Mayan RuinsMayan Ruins
Mayan Ruins

One of the more spectacular ruins.
Spider.Spider.
Spider.

One of the local kids had a pet spider, some sort of Tarantula.
Waterfalls.Waterfalls.
Waterfalls.

One of the two waterfalls we stopped at on the way to San Crystobal


27th March 2008

Hey
Hi guys, looks like you are having fun over there. Also looks like the spider is missing a leg. The mini is going well. Look forward to reading more of your blogs. Cheers,
30th March 2008

Having Fun
Hey Cam, Mel and Roxy. We are having an awesome time, we didnt go swimming in that waterfall, but another one just up the road. Will have another update for you in the coming days. We are currently in Panajachel (Guatemala). Great Place.
31st March 2008

Poor Spider
The kis was pretty rough on the spider, so it is not suprising it has lost a leg! Glad the Mini is going well, hope you are enjoying it!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb