One crazy border crossing.


Advertisement
Published: March 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Amber for saleAmber for saleAmber for sale

Necklace made from amber.
San Cristobal was a lot colder than we were expecting. Apparently the altitude is about 2100 metres. We spent 2 nights here. San Cristobal is the Amber capital of Mexico, with every 3rd shop selling amber.

The next leg of our journey was the most hectic so far. In brief our transportation was as follows - quality Mexican bus to the last town in Mexico, taxi to the Mexican-Guatemalan border, get immmigration cards and passports stamped at border, Tuk-tuk from the border to the chicken bus stop, chicken bus to our hired van...then on to our accomodation for the night! Suffice to say were were exhausted after all that!

The chicken buses were an experience. The buses are actually old US School buses that have been painted bright colours, have drivers that ensure the buses are the fastest vehicle on the road, and they cram so many people in, we at one time had 3 people hanging out the door ' including a mother with her baby on her back!

Our destination was the amazing lakeside town of Panajachel. The lake is actually a giant volcanic crater, and is surrounded by 3 smaller volcanoes!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Church.Church.
Church.

Facade of one of the churches in San Crystobal
San Crystobal at nightSan Crystobal at night
San Crystobal at night

Most of the buildings in Mexican towns are lit up well at night.
Chicken BusChicken Bus
Chicken Bus

Our Chicken bus. We have never been on a bus that was as packed as this.
Mayan kids.Mayan kids.
Mayan kids.

We had the opportuning to visit some Mayan communities. The kids are especially cute.
Lake AtitilanLake Atitilan
Lake Atitilan

Awesome view.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb